Senior Software Engineer
At Getty Digital, we're re-imagining how we can use software to provide access to our collections and research. We intend to provide a deeply connected, consistent experience for scholars, researchers, and enthusiasts as they explore the complex information held across the Getty.
We're looking for a senior developer to work with our Research Application Development team. This team is responsible for the online presentation of the Getty Research Portal, the Getty Museum collection online, the Provenance Index, AATA Online, the Getty vocabularies, and other initiatives focused on the discovery and presentation of cultural heritage information. It’s a highly collaborative team with regular co-working sessions, code review, and pair programming as common practices.
As a Sr. Software Engineer, you’ll report to the team lead, and will be responsible for working with them and the rest of the team to help estimate, plan, and execute major software initiatives across the Getty, as well as supporting existing applications and projects. You will also be responsible for collaborating with and sharing expertise with a talented team of software developers, helping to set an example of best practices. You will work with subject matter experts, UX researchers, designers, and other software developers, collaborating to build experiences that help share the information shared across the Getty with the larger world.
Our software stack is Vue.js on the front end, with backend implementations in Python, data provided via APIs, and custom search interfaces using ElasticSearch. The Getty is committed to using Linked Open Data across our architecture, and to the use of IIIF for access to rich media assets.
The Getty is among the most prestigious cultural heritage organizations in the world, dedicated to furthering the study of the history of art. You will work on an amazing campus amongst fabulous art, architecture, and archives, collaborating with world-class scientists, curators, librarians, archivists, and academics. We offer 4 weeks of accrued vacation a year, every other Friday off, excellent benefits, and a strong commitment to balancing work and personal life.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Design, build, and maintain an ecosystem of applications presenting detailed information about the Getty's collections and scholarship
- Write technical specifications and design documents for new features and applications
- Be responsible for guiding the technical implementation of new features and applications
- Participate in the day-to-day development and testing of applications as part of a team
- Maintain and upgrade existing applications as part of a team
- Perform code reviews and provide feedback to peer developers
- Follow and help enforce Getty policies and best practices for software development
- A deep interest in the work of cultural heritage
- 5+ years software development experience
- Strong expertise with Vue.js, NPM, & Webpack
- Expertise with Python, Flask, and Django
- Experience developing dynamic, data-driven web applications
- Experience with unit and end-to-end testing frameworks
- Experience with HTML & CSS, including the use of pre-processors
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Experience with REST APIs & HTTP
- Tact, diplomacy, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask, manage priorities, and meet deadlines
Useful Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Experience with RDF, Linked Data, and/or Graph data structures
- Experience with the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF)
- A deep understanding of museum, library and archival practice, systems, and metadata standards
- Experience with building and deploying applications using Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS
Last updated: Friday, December 21, 2018 17:00 UTC
How to apply
Published: Friday, December 21, 2018 17:00 UTC