Digital Imaging Specialist and Lab Manager
The Ohio University Libraries seeks applicants for the Digital Imaging Specialist and Lab Manager position. In collaboration with the Digital Initiatives Coordinator and reporting to the Head of Preservation and Digital Initiatives, the Digital Imaging Specialist and Lab Manager plays a key role in increasing the digital presence and research viability of OHIO Libraries archival and special collections. The incumbent is responsible for implementation of the PhaseOne imaging workflow making consistent, informed, technical decisions regarding lighting set up, quality control, and file management.
This position works with a highly specialized camera designed for the digitization of cultural heritage material and ensures the continuity of collections imaging by maintaining FADGI standards for image production. In addition to managing imaging projects the Digital imaging Specialist will manage the scanning operations of OHIO Libraries Digital Initiatives. This includes participating in hiring, training, and supervising student employees as well as troubleshooting and maintenance of scanning equipment. The incumbent will work closely with the Digital Initiatives Coordinator and the Digital Projects team to determine best methods for capture, and manage timelines for successful project completion.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For full consideration, apply by midnight on December 16, 2018.
- Determining proper specs and configuration of PhaseOne medium format and 35mm DSLR cameras taking into account best practices for image capture, object handling, and project goals.
- Photographing rare or unique items owned by Ohio University Libraries, including fragile volumes, documents, three dimensional objects, oversize items, photographic media.
- Ensuring FADGI compliance for digital images through use of targets, lighting, and software applications.
- Performing file management and quality control
- Supervises and trains student workers engaged in digitization.
- Troubleshoots and maintains digitization hardware and software, including cameras and scanners.
- Manages a separate but complementary workflow of collections photography for library promotion and marketing.
- Work closely with Digital Initiatives Coordinator within the Digital Initiatives unit to design and implement digital project goals and specifications.
- Actively engages in and contributes to the profession.
• Bachelor’s degree in Commercial Photography or related field
• Minimum of 1 year of experience relevant to digital imaging.
• Familiarity with operating and maintaining a range of capture and imaging technology, camera and scanner hardware.
• Familiarity with digital image editing software, data management, and processing, such as Adobe Photoshop and Bridge.
• Familiarity with batch processing related to image conversion and manipulation.
• Working knowledge of best practices and trends in digital photography, capture, color management, formats, conversions, and standards for digital objects.
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution
- Project management experience, with demonstrated ability to manage projects, plan and execute workflows, track progress and meet deadlines and objectives.
- Experience working in museums, libraries, or archives.
- Familiarity with standards for care and handling of rare and fragile materials.
- Knowledge of metadata practices and standards such as Dublin Core, METS, MODS, PREMIS, VRA, EAD, and TEI.
Pay Rate: Salary is commensurate with experience and education. Ohio University employees enjoy a liberal benefits package including 21 days annual vacation, generous insurance, and Ohio state employee or alternative retirement. The Libraries are committed to professional development in order to bring best practices and innovative services to the Ohio University Libraries.
Job Open Date11/28/2018
Job CategoryAdministrative - Exempt-SalariedWork Schedule M-F, 8-5
See the following links to a see full job description and salary information:
Please apply online at http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/29577.
How to apply
Published: Friday, November 30, 2018 02:42 UTC
Last updated: Friday, November 30, 2018 02:42 UTC