Systems and Cataloging Librarian
Davidson College seeks a collaborative and enthusiastic Systems and Cataloging Librarian to join our library. This librarian has the responsibility to support robust library systems and apply expertise in cataloging and metadata standards to facilitate discovery and delivery of the library’s physical and electronic collections to the Davidson community. This position works on projects to deliver new services in support of library digital endeavors and serves on cross-divisional committees and working groups
Reporting to the Assistant Director for Digital Strategies, the Systems and Cataloging Librarian will help identify best practices and design effective workflows involving library systems and metadata across the organization.
· Perform original and complex copy cataloging of all formats, including foreign language materials. Manage authority control through the Alma Community.
· Support the integrated library system (Alma) including policy creation, user administration, and serve as liaison to the Alma Community through Ex Libris.
· Create new reports for the ILS using Oracle BI.
· Transform and clean data for library systems as needed.
· Support of other library systems as required.
· Metadata consultation and cleanup as needed.
· Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from a program accredited by the American Library Association. Currently enrolled applicants will be considered.
· Knowledge of current and recent industry trends in search, discovery, and delivery systems.
· Knowledge of RDA, MARC formats, Bibframe, LC classification and subject headings required.
· Knowledge of metadata (DC, MODS, METS, EAD) required.
· Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues and partners across campus in a dynamic, future-oriented environment.
· Demonstrated commitment to diversity.
· ILS administration experience preferred. This person has or will acquire Alma Administration Certification.
· Working knowledge of cataloging foreign language materials preferred.
· Experience in supporting library specific software, e.g. EZProxy, ILLIAD and library specific hardware, e.g. label printers, microfilm scanners, preferred.
· Experience with XML and/or JSON preferred. Experience with digital repositories and web-publishing software (such as Omeka, Wordpress, and Drupal) preferred.
· Experience with scripting (Python, PERL, or other) and/or data cleanup tools (such as OpenRefine) preferred.
This is a full-time, 12-month position. Apply by January 2, 2018, for fullest consideration.
Candidates are asked to submit a resume, a cover letter addressing their experience and skills and how these relate to the mission of Davidson College and the Library, and a one-page statement on their contributions to diversity. Information about how to submit an application can be found at http://employment.davidson.edu<http://employment.davidson.edu/>
Consistently ranked among the nation’s top liberal arts colleges, Davidson College is a highly selective, independent liberal arts college located in Davidson, North Carolina, close to the city of Charlotte.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.
Last updated: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 21:12 UTC
How to apply
Assistant Director, Digital Strategies
E. H. Little Library | Davidson College
704.894.2014 | email@example.com
Published: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 21:12 UTC