Manager of Global Research Evaluations
The Office of Research Excellence (ORE) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) focuses on strategic engagement with global leaders in research and education.
The ORE is seeking an outstanding scientist with exceptional leadership experience and skills to serve as a Manager of the Global Research Evaluations organization. This high-profile position will be responsible for leading comprehensive research evaluation programs.
• Plan, organize, lead and manage activities of the Global Research Evaluations organization within the Office of Research Excellence.
• Inform the organization through data regarding ORNL’s strategic position, sources of competitive advantage / differentiation and potential external disruptive forces / industry shifts in order to facilitate disciplined and well-informed strategic decision-making.
• Develop a holistic, comprehensive evaluation of the outputs of the research activities across ORNL directorates and enhance ORNL capability on research intelligence on a range of dimensions, including design of appropriate metrics that can help ORNL measure output and impact, and build on ORNL’s core competencies
• Enhance the in-house capacity on research intelligence focusing on institutionalization of research evaluation standards and best practices in research intelligence to translate data and information to “actionable knowledge” on research direction, priorities and partnerships.
• Build and mentor a team of staff members and student research associates to help individual professional development and evaluating individual and team performance metrics.
• Conduct research, participate in proposals, and report results in open literature journals, technical reports, and at relevant conferences.
• Ph.D. in a scientific field
• 5+ years of relevant research experience beyond degree
• Demonstrated experience in developing global research evaluation programs
• Strong influencing and negotiating skills as well as excellent interpersonal, presentation, oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to understand complex technical, business and financial issues and assume responsibility for activities of considerable fiscal significance
• Demonstrated ability to lead and manage teams
• An understanding of the differing business practices in the research, academia and governmental arenas
• The ability to find innovative ways to bridge the different cultures
• A focus on deadlines which permeate all DOE initiatives
• Unswerving commitment to ensuring success while doing the right things the right way
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Last updated: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 23:11 UTC