Metadata Specialist I
The Metadata Services Unit (MSU) improves access and discovery of library resources and strengthens data interoperability across the library through metadata production services and software development support. Through production services, the MSU supports and engages staff in efficient metadata creation for digitization, offering staff training, development and documentation of local standards and practices, project consultation, and quality control.
MSU seeks candidates enthusiastic about metadata and the future of libraries for the position of Metadata Specialist I. Reporting to the Manager, Metadata Services, the Metadata Specialist I balances high productivity and high quality output to wrangle metadata across a corpus of more than a million metadata records. Strong interpersonal and written skills are key to supporting quality metadata creation and remediation across NYPL research library divisions and within a cooperative team environment. This is a perfect opportunity for a proactive individual with the ability to quickly synthesize complex information.
- Creates, updates, and enhances metadata for the Library’s digital collections
- Liases with metadata creators across NYPL divisions to support metadata project planning, training, guidance on standards, and the efficient creation/maintenance of high-quality metadata
- Contributes to local metadata policies, procedures, and standards as well as technical requirements for NYPL’s Metadata Management System, digital repository, and other tools
- Participates in large-scale and targeted remediation projects to improve discovery and access to digital content
NYPL Core Values
- ALA-accredited Master's Degree in Library or Information Science
- New or soon-to-be graduates are encouraged to apply
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to work well collaboratively and independently on complex projects involving diverse participants, using informed judgment and clear communication to successfully complete tasks in a timely manner
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical, and independent problem-solving skills, with the ability to process a large quantity of work while maintaining a consistently high degree of accuracy.
- Facility with rapidly synthesizing new information and new workflows
- Aptitude for being organized, productive and effective while involved with a variety of simultaneous projects
- Demonstrated knowledge of data and database structures, metadata standards, and encoding schemas, including MARC21, MODS and EAD
- Experience interpreting and applying descriptive content standards (such as RDA, DACS, CCO, etc.) in a non-MARC metadata environment
- Familiarity with Linked Data concepts and technologies
- Experience working with special collections or academic libraries
- Experience building positive and productive interdepartmental or interdisciplinary relationships
- Office setting
- Will require travel within NYC
- USD $48,017.00/Yr.
Union / Non Union
- Local 1930
Published: Friday, November 2, 2018 23:05 UTC
Last updated: Friday, November 2, 2018 23:05 UTC