Web Development Librarian
RESPONSIBILITIES:The University of Alabama Libraries seeks a talented and energetic professional to join our team as a Web Development Librarian. Reporting to the Manager of Web Technologies and Development, this position will be responsible for supporting and extending the Libraries’ custom web applications, tools, and web presence. The position will also engage in project work, and support new technology initiatives derived from our strategic plan. The position extends and supports our web apps framework, maintains and enhances our web site, and develops for a variety of initiatives such as EBSCO’s FOLIO environment. The position will also support internal project development and other similar activities.
The successful candidate will be current with best practices in all areas of responsibility with special attention to security. S/he will identify promising new technologies that can positively impact services or generate a better user experience and will be an innovative and entrepreneurial professional who desires to work in a creative, collaborative and respectful environment.
The Web Technologies and Development department is responsible for the development of such nationally-recognized tools as our Bento search interface and our innovative applications of EBSCO’s EDS tool. The University Libraries emphasizes a culture of continuous learning, professional growth, and diversity through ongoing and regular training, and well-supported professional development.
* MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA accredited program, or advanced terminal degree in a comparable field from an accredited institution.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with diverse constituencies and comfortable with ambiguity.
* Excellent interpersonal communication and customer service skills and the ability to interact effectively with faculty, students, and staff.
* Ability to conceptualize, communicate, and execute plans to meet short- and long-term goals.
* Ability to balance multiple projects, prioritize activities, and adhere to production schedules and deadlines.
* Ability to support and enhance a diverse learning and working environment.
* Ability to problem solve creatively.
* Aptitude for learning new technologies and working in a dynamic environment.
* Experience with LAMP/LAPP systems.
* Experience developing within a WordPress or Drupal environment.
* A desire to help develop awesome projects.
* 2+ years of programming and development experience.
* Experience developing for and supporting common academic library applications (e.g., ArchiveSpace, DSpace, ContentDM, SpringShare, EDS).
* Experience with Bootstrap and similar libraries.
* Experience interacting with and manipulating REST API data.
* Experience with MEAN stack development.
* Experience with professional workflows using IDEs, GIT, staging servers, etc.
* Experience with UX and accessibility.
* Experience with web security issues, HTTPS, and developing secure applications.
* Experience developing for and within open-source projects.
* Some experience with Java.
* Familiarity with development frameworks, such as RoR, Laravel, Cake, Angular.
ENVIRONMENT: The University of Alabama, The Capstone University, is the State of Alabama’s flagship public university and the senior comprehensive doctoral level institution in Alabama. UA enrolls over 37,000 students, is ranked in the top 50 public universities in the United States. UA has graduated 15 Rhodes Scholars, 15 Truman Scholars, has had 121 Fulbright Scholars, is one of the leading institutions for National Merit Scholars (150 in 2015), and has 5 Pulitzer Prize winners among its ranks. Under the new leadership of President Stuart Bell, UA has launched a strategic planning process that includes an aggressive research agenda and expansion of graduate education. The University of Alabama Libraries are essential in advancing the educational mission of the University. We provide innovative instruction, services, and resources to facilitate teaching, research, and learning. The University of Alabama Libraries are committed to be student-centered and research-focused in order to support discovery, learning, and creativity at The Capstone.
The University Libraries maintains memberships in the Association of Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries, the Coalition for Networked Information, centerNet, LYRASIS, the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, the HathiTrust, Scholars Trust, the Rosemont Alliance, the Network of Alabama Academic Libraries, the Digital Preservation Network, and the Alabama Digital Preservation Network. We are the oldest academic library serving as a U.S. Government Documents Regional Depository. In this role we serve the academic community and the public. The University Libraries is an EBSCO FOLIO beta partner. The University Libraries homepage may be accessed at http://www.libraries.ua.edu
The University of Alabama is located in Tuscaloosa, a metropolitan area of 200,000, with a vibrant economy, a moderate climate, and a reputation across the South as an innovative, progressive community with an excellent quality of life. Tuscaloosa provides easy access to mountains, several large cities, and the beautiful Gulf Coast.
Prior to employment the successful candidate must pass a pre-employment background investigation.
SALARY/BENEFITS: 12-month non-tenure-track, renewable contract faculty appointment at the Assistant professor rank. Salary range is $52,000- $70,000. Strong benefits including professional development support and tuition fee waiver.
TO APPLY: Applications are accepted online only at https://facultyjobs.ua.edu. Click Search Positions. University Libraries in Organization drop down box. Please include your application, Curriculum Vitae, and names, addresses, phone numbers, and e- mail addresses of three references, including one current supervisor.
Applications received by September 20, 2018 are assured of receiving full consideration.
The University of Alabama is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is strongly committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. Applicants from a broad spectrum of people, including women, members of ethnic minorities and disabled persons, are especially encouraged to apply. For questions regarding the search, contact Dr. Millie Jackson, Senior Associate Dean, at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 17:38 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 17:38 UTC