Web Technologies Librarian
Web Technologies Librarian
The University of Alabama Libraries seeks an innovative, dynamic, and serviceoriented professional for the position of Web Technologies Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Web Technologies and Development, this position is responsible for development, implementation, and project management of technology projects in a collaborative environment, as well as supporting the development and management of the UA Libraries various web applications and tools.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
* Administer the SpringShare suite of library tools and similar cloud-based library application suites.
* Manage and extend the University Libraries applications & services.
* Plan and implement technology projects as needed.
* Use technology skills to integrate software platforms and web-based tools.
* Assist in supporting the University Libraries’ web properties (WordPress, Angular, Bootstrap), our Dspace institutional repository, and Archives Space.
* Interact with a wide range of individuals with differing abilities using technology.
* Successfully collaborate across departments.
* Help identify promising new technologies that positively impact services and generate a better user experience.
* Retain currency with library technologies and trends.
* Evaluate the use and effectiveness of web applications and other technological services using analytics and other methods.
* Work to identify and assist in implementing and evaluating promising emerging technologies.
* Monitor KACE virtual help desk and engage in tasks derived from the help desk.
* Master’s degree in Library & Information Sciences from an ALA-accredited program or advanced terminal degree in a comparable field from an accredited institution
* Ability to successfully initiate, track, and manage projects.
* Demonstrated experience working on organizational technology projects.
* Demonstrated experience with some programming or scripting.
* Experience administering content management systems.
* Understanding of web programming work.
* Some familiarity with the Linux and/or Unix command-line
* Experience working in collaborative teams.
* Excellent interpersonal communication and customer service skills and the ability to interact effectively with faculty, students, and staff.
* Ability to conceptualize, communicate, and execute plans to meet short- and long-term goals.
* Ability to balance multiple projects, prioritize activities, and adhere to production schedules and deadlines.
* Ability to solve problems independently or collaboratively, using sound judgment in decision making.
* Ability to support and enhance a diverse learning and working environment.
* One to two years of experience working in an academic library on large projects – either implementing or programming/developing, or both.
* Experience creating course and/or subject guides via LibGuides or a comparable application.
* Experience with an open source content management systems, such as WordPress.
* Familiarity with project management and team productivity tools.
* Knowledge of XML and library metadata standards.
ENVIRONMENT: The University of Alabama, The Capstone University, is the State of Alabama’s flagship public university and the senior comprehensive doctoral level institution in Alabama. UA enrolls over 38,000 students. Ranked among the top 60 public universities in the nation in U.S. News and World Report’s annual college rankings for more than a decade, UA ranked 51st among public universities in the 2018 rankings. University of Alabama students continue to win prestigious national awards. Fifty-one UA students have been named Goldwater Scholars, including four in 2017. The University of Alabama has produced a total of 15 Rhodes Scholars, 16 Truman Scholars, 32 Hollings Scholars and 11 Boren Scholars. The University of Alabama is a leader among public universities nationwide in the enrollment of National Merit Scholars with more than 500 currently enrolled. Under the leadership of President Stuart Bell, UA has launched a strategic planning process that includes an aggressive research agenda and expansion of graduate education. UA is located in Tuscaloosa, a metropolitan area of 200,000, with a vibrant economy, a moderate climate, and a reputation across the South as an innovative, progressive community with an excellent quality of life. Tuscaloosa provides easy access to mountains, several large cities, and the beautiful Gulf Coast.
The University Libraries maintains memberships in the Association of Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries, the Coalition for Networked Information, centerNet, LYRASIS, the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, the Network of Alabama Academic Libraries, the Digital Preservation Network, and the Alabama Digital Preservation Network. As a U.S. Government Documents Regional Depository, the UA Libraries serves Alabama libraries and the public. The University Libraries is an EBSCO FOLIO beta partner. The University Libraries homepage may be accessed at http://www.lib.ua.edu
Prior to employment the successful candidate must pass a pre-employment background investigation.
SALARY/BENEFITS: 12-month non-tenure-track, renewable contract faculty appointment at the assistant professor rank, depending on qualifications. Salary is $52,000- $60,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Strong benefits including professional development support and tuition fee waiver.
TO APPLY: Applications are accepted online only at https://facultyjobs.ua.edu Click Search Positions. University Libraries in Organization drop down box. Please include your application, Curriculum Vitae, and names, addresses, phone numbers, and e- mail addresses of three references, including one current supervisor.
Position open until filled. Applications received by September 15, 2018 are assured of receiving full consideration.
The University of Alabama is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is strongly committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. Applicants from a broad spectrum of people, including women, members of ethnic minorities and disabled persons, are especially encouraged to apply.
For questions regarding the search, contact Dr. Millie Jackson, Senior Associate Dean, at email@example.com
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Last updated: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 17:38 UTC
How to apply
Steven Turner, MLIS
Manager, Web Technologies and Development, Assistant Professor
The University of Alabama
416 Gorgas Library | Box 870266, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0266
firstname.lastname@example.org | http://www.lib.ua.edu/
Published: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 17:38 UTC