Boston College Libraries is seeking a dynamic, highly collaborative leader with a background in research data management to develop and guide a set of wide-ranging programs in support of digital initiatives and data collection at Boston College.
The Head Librarian for Data & Assessment Services leads the Libraries’ data services and research data curation program on campus, and also guides assessment initiatives and coordinates data visualizations for library resources, services, spaces, and technology. The Head develops a robust set of programs and services in support of research data collection and management for qualitative and quantitative datasets. The Head is responsible for planning the services and functions of the Libraries and harnessing the expertise of staff throughout campus to enable a unified complement of data services and support for Boston College (BC). He/she provides leadership and coordination for the external and internal data needs of library departments, overseeing reporting while championing the culture of evaluation and continuous improvement in assessing library resources. The Head coordinates the collection, analysis, and visualization of data, including the use of surveys, focus groups, user experience tests, and metrics, communicating findings to relevant stakeholders.
This is an exciting time to join the BC Libraries. Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Digital Initiatives & Services, he or she will work with staff throughout the Libraries, including a full team of digital scholarship professionals, collections and liaison librarians familiar with subject needs and the increasing demand for data services among faculty and students, and staff supporting and strategically developing digital repositories programs and systems. The Department Head will develop collaborations and partnerships with entities across campus with an interest in institutional data policy and practices, systems support, instructional technology and faculty data services. The Department Head will be responsible for ensuring that department planning furthers the strategic directions for the Libraries and campus.
· Lead a comprehensive data program, developing services and providing strategic direction. Work closely with subject experts, digital scholarship, and repository services colleagues to design data collection, visualization, data management, and data analysis services. Oversee the creation of data and visualization services and training programs. Supervise the work of the Data & Visualization Librarian and the Data Services Librarian.
· Develop and maintain comprehensive assessment programs for the libraries, creating a culture of continuous improvement. Determine ongoing library data needs, oversee data collection and develop strategies for consistent data workflows using appropriate technologies. Guide data analysis and visualization using research practices and tools for library assessment.
· Coordinate a network of data service providers on campus, including agreeing respective roles, activities and services. Coordinate with others to represent and promote these services and relationships to campus stakeholders and deliver consistent messaging across the Libraries and throughout the university community.
· Consult with individual faculty, staff and departments on data and library needs, identifying opportunities to respond to changing needs of the university and employing effective communication and assessment strategies.
● Master’s degree in library or information science from an ALA-accredited institution. Advanced degree in a data-intensive research field preferred.
● At least three years of relevant and substantial experience with data management in a research or university setting, preferably in a leadership role. Demonstrated understanding of the mission and operations of academic libraries.
● Demonstrated ability to initiate successful new strategies and services in a research setting
● Demonstrated knowledge of issues, trends and technical challenges related to research data management and curation
● Experience performing and training others in research design and data collection and management processes
● Understanding of technical processes involved with data manipulation, including data/text mining and the use of scripts or tools to extract and manipulate data
● Familiarity with trends and issues associated with collection, analysis, access and archiving of digital data, as well as the principles of data documentation and metadata standards
● Understanding of and experience with the principles and practice of user studies, quality assessment, and operational evaluation
● Demonstrated experience collecting user data, such as via designing and creating surveys, and employing assessment methods and tools
● Ability to function as an internal consultant and coordinate the activities of others
● Demonstrated success in a collaborative environment involving multiple departments and stakeholders
● Demonstrated project management skills and experience - both leading and working within complex project teams – while effectively balancing competing priorities and deadlines
● Excellent interpersonal, collaborative, written and oral communication skills, demonstrating responsiveness in the development and assessment of services
● Supervisory and management skills appropriate to a research environment
Published: Monday, August 27, 2018 15:31 UTC
Last updated: Monday, August 27, 2018 15:31 UTC