Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech’s University Libraries seeks a talented Web Developer to work within the Information Technology Division and collaborate with University Libraries’ team of software engineers, designers, professional communicators and librarians in developing front-end web applications. The successful candidate will engage in the design, implementation, testing, and maintenance for the Libraries’ growing portfolio of websites and web applications in collaboration with the University Libraries Strategic Communications team and will participate in planning for future development, taking into account newly available technologies.
- Primary responsibilities include designing and developing front-end websites and web-application software
- Collaborate with University Libraries faculty and other stakeholders to design, build, and manage websites; work in cross-functional teams within Library IT, Strategic Communications, and other units
- Maintain professional growth by keeping abreast of emerging technologies; analyze new technologies and make recommendations for improvements
- Help plan and set the course for upcoming projects
- Ensure library web services meet accessibility guidelines
May serve on Library committees as appropriate.
- Advanced degree in computer science, computer engineering, information science, or a related field, or a Bachelor’s degree with comparable professional experience
- Expert-level proficiency and proven experience with web markup and adherence to web standards
- Demonstrated skill, understanding, and experience with client-side scripting
- Demonstrated skill, understanding, and experience with server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as Sass or Less
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser/platform/device compatibility
- Proficient understanding and experience using Git for software version control
- Proficiency with Linux/UNIX and the command line
- Expertise with build tools like Gulp.js or Webpack
- Experience with server-side technologies like Node.js or Ruby on Rails
- An understanding of best practices in search engine optimization and web analytics
- Experience working in an agile team environment
- Experience mentoring junior engineers
- Demonstrated ability to locate and remedy accessibility issues in web applications
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
- Proven record of customer service excellence
Must have a conviction check:Yes
How to Apply for this Job:
Applications must be submitted online at www.jobs.vt.edu, posting # AP0180274. The application package needs to include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required and preferred qualifications, and names of three (3) references and their contact information.
Employee Category:Administrative and Professional Faculty
If restricted or temporary, enter end date:
FLSA Status:Exempt: Not eligible for overtime
Tenure Status:Non-Tenure Track
Academic Year or Calendar Year:Calendar Year
If part time, enter Percent Time:
Pay Range:Minimum $60,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience
Location, if not Blacksburg:
Location Zip Code:24061
Work Schedule:8am-5pm M-F or as assigned
Job Posting Date:08/15/2018
Review Begin Date:09/24/2018
Job Close Date:
Restricted to university employees only?No
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Last updated: Monday, August 20, 2018 14:13 UTC