Digital Repository Curator/Analyst
POSITION: Digital Repository Curator/Analyst
REPORTS TO: Lead, Sr. Technical Information Specialist
TYPE OF POSITION & FLSA STATUS: Regular/Full-time/ Exempt
EEOC Job Category: Professional
SUMMARY/GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF JOB: In support of the NASA Scientific and Technical Information (STI) program, this position is responsible for the management and curation of digital image, multimedia, and full text/PDF documents within the NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) Digital Repository.
The primary purpose of this role is to ensure the NASA STI digital repository (NTRS) is maintained in a condition that allows for the greatest dissemination of NASA research and development practicable. The chosen candidate will essentially help to shape the way the NTRS is arranged and will facilitate discovery of NASA’s rich collection in support of research and learning.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serve as the primary point of contact and project manager of the strategy for organization, digitization, curation, and ongoing enhancements to and of the NTRS repository.
- Identify and design curation maintenance actions required to keep the STI repository data as current as practicable, complete and uncorrupted and at existing industry standards for information condition.
- Identify and pursue innovative content maintenance actions, content addition/creation where necessary and submission process improvements.
- Ensure accurate representation of the original STI, safeguarded from corruption and that the metadata and full text are appropriately linked.
- Perform data analyses against the metadata during processing and support continuous repository maintenance, including metadata exports that support analyses and removal of duplicate entries.
- Perform continuous maintenance on the repository and coordinate with other technical support staff to ensure that no Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is contained in the repository and no SBU, ITAR or other release restricted information is discoverable to the public.
- Work with local IT staff on technical rollout of repository updates and enhancements.
- Execute periodic auditing of digital assets, digital storage systems, and related workflows to ensure long-term persistence and usability of the digital material. Reformat legacy media when necessary.
- Assist in implementing professional standards and best practices and setting priorities for collection management, processing, description, digitization, and discovery.
- Maintain pulse on rising industry standards and tools to ensure that descriptive products are in place and responsive to evolving research needs and priorities.
JOB REQUIREMENTS (Education, Experience, Professional Associations):
- BA or BS degree in library science, computer science, or STEM discipline related field
- Demonstrated knowledge of current national data content and structure standards
- Some working knowledge of XML, including experience with XML schemas and the use of XML editors and the manipulation of metadata across systems and platforms.
- US citizen / Able to pass a National Agency Check and Inquiries (NACI) investigation
- Experience in a NASA or scientific and technical information environment
- Knowledge of Boolean search methodology and database analysis
- Project Management Experience
An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Last updated: Friday, July 27, 2018 13:39 UTC
How to apply
Published: Friday, July 27, 2018 13:39 UTC