The Digital Libraries Division supports the UNT Libraries with guidance, software development, digital preservation, and other digital services. Through collaborative efforts such as The Portal to Texas History (http://texashistory.unt.edu/) and the UNT Digital Library (http://digital.library.unt.edu/) we freely provide digital content to a worldwide audience. Our software development team builds these products with open source components and open, standards-based protocols and formats.
The Library Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Programmer to join our team.
Working with the Django framework and other open source components, you will contribute to the feature development and upkeep of the content delivery system in use for The Portal to Texas History (http://texashistory.unt.edu/) and related products. In addition, you will provide programming support for our metadata creation and editing systems. You will work collaboratively with other programmers and technologists in the UNT Libraries to address software problems and to add and customize features for our products.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Writing programs in a variety of server-side languages including Python/Django
* Applying the division's software testing and version control practices
* Developing and documenting deployment procedures and automated deployment scripts
* Identifying functional requirements, application scope, and hardware limitations to inform application design
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree with coursework in computing or information systems and one year of related computing or programming work experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Knowledge of the methods and equipment used in electronic data processing.
* Skill in writing programs for computer applications.
* Ability to analyze problems and develop solutions.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Demonstrated desire to learn new tool sets and programming languages
* Working knowledge of the Linux operating system
* Working knowledge of open source tools and environments
* Working knowledge of version control systems
* Working knowledge of XML, Apache, MySQL
* Proficiency in Python, Ruby, or PHP
Please note, this is an entry level position for which we are currently unable to offer H-1B sponsorship.
Last updated: Thursday, July 12, 2018 14:33 UTC