Web and Digital Repository Developer
ZAI has an immediate opening for a Web Developer to support our customer, a Federal Government Library located in Greenbelt, Maryland. The Web Developer will have experience using the LAMP stack, Drupal, and other frameworks to create and maintain high quality solutions that support and enhance the functionality of the Library’s websites, applications, databases, and content management system.
As a member of the Digital Projects Team, the position reports to the Team Lead and works with teammates, library colleagues, patrons, and community partners to provide access to information and materials that support the scientific and engineering research and public outreach needs.
· Responsible for design and development work to support the Library’s virtual presence.
· Work with open source and proprietary software to develop and maintain specialized databases and web-based resources.
· Responsible for management of web sites and applications, including content creation and addition/removal, applying updates, some support with server and database administration, and coordinating with the Systems Administrator on backups. Manages the migration of content from legacy web sites and systems. Installs, tests, and implements plugins and themes.
· Technical responsibilities include site development and maintenance; programming and database work; web statistics collection, monitoring, and reporting, work with APIs, some SQL and SPARQL querying.
· Specific projects may include supporting data migration, backend tool development, software configuration, and designing new sites and using new web services technologies to improve the user experience in discovering, searching, finding, and acquiring library materials and content.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
· U.S. Citizenship
· 3+ years of experience in developing and maintaining web sites and web applications.
· Solid understanding of core web technologies and best practices (HTML, CSS, XML, JSON, REST, SOAP)
· Experience with Linux, Apache, Tomcat, Lucene/Solr, shell scripting (bash, perl), Composer.
· Experience using PHP and PHP frameworks (YII, Laravel, CakePHP).
· Experience with object-oriented programming.
· Experience with a version control system such as GIT or Subversion; experience using GitHub / GitLab.
· Familiarity with Drupal 7/8 module and theme development or similar CMS.
· Knowledge of database programming and relational databases (MySQL).
· Familiarity with usability testing, principles of information architecture, best practices and guidelines for accessible Web design.
· Effective communication skills.
· Excellent organizational skills.
· Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field. Equivalent training and experience in lieu of a degree will be considered.
· Knowledge of the Fedora Commons repository architecture for digital collections.
· Experience with/reasonable comfort level with Java application development.
· Knowledge of responsive web design fundamentals.
· Knowledge of library information systems; familiarity with library metadata standards and bibliographic information structure.
· Web development experience in a library environment.
Last updated: Thursday, July 12, 2018 14:33 UTC
Published: Thursday, July 12, 2018 14:33 UTC