Reporting to the Systems Manager, the Systems Librarian is responsible for contributing to a high-quality, robust physical and virtual infrastructure for The New School Libraries & Archives. The Systems Librarian works collaboratively with a wide range of libraries & archives departments across all locations as well as with our consortial partners at NYU to support a variety of applications in both Window Server and Linux environments used by the Libraries and Archives. The systems involved include backup, storage, servers, and components of Integrated Library System. Specific duties of the incumbent include the following:
- Coordinates the installation, configuration, and maintenance of physical and virtual server environments for the Libraries and Archives..
- Assists in configuration and implementation of the Library’s core systems – the Integrated Library System (currently Ex Libris’ Aleph), Link Resolver (SFX), electronic reserves (Atlas Systems’ Ares), Inter-Library Loan (Atlas Systems’ ILLiad), and EZBorrow (Relais D2D)
- Works closely with public and technical services staff in all libraries and with software engineers to ensure that systems are optimized for acquisitions, cataloging/metadata, and e-resource management operations.
- Works with Information Technology in the support of shared storage, authentication, printing and other centralized services.
- Helps to maintain a master project list of system upgrades, modifications, and fixes.
- Performs other duties related to library systems as needed to accomplish the goals of the department, division, and library.
- Participates in internal and consortial library committees related to primary job assignment as appropriate.
- Represents the library on professional and scholarly association committees, task forces, work groups, and other entities at the local, state, regional, national, and international level as appropriate to position and area of expertise.
- Maintains up-to-date professional knowledge and skills in areas related to primary job assignment as well as maintaining general knowledge of current trends in higher education, academic libraries, and information and educational technology.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library and Information Science OR equivalent education and experience relevant to the position.
- Comfortable administrating Linux machines
- Demonstrated understanding of client/server environment, and experience with software applications needed to administer application environments. This may include Microsoft Windows Server, UNIX/Linux, Oracle/SQL Server, XML, PNX, etc.
- Awareness of basic SQL commands for report writing and business analysis of supported applications
- Knowledge of current and recent industry trends in library technology systems.
- Ability to develop, implement, and assess business proposals and plans specifically information technology proposals and projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Three or more years professional experience working as a Systems Librarian or professional with evidence of broad, in-depth technology and systems knowledge, skills
- Working knowledge and direct experience with integrated library systems and related search and discovery products (particularly Ex Libris’ Aleph Primo) and demonstrated understanding of the trends related to the ongoing development of such library systems and of emerging technologies and systems within this arena of library technology and automation.
- Knowledge of programming language, such as PHP, Python or Perl.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 17:16 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 17:16 UTC