Front-end Web Developer
Full time Remote / Telecommute
Whirl-i-Gig develops CollectiveAccess (https://collectiveaccess.org), open source software for management and presentation of museum and archival collections; Inquisite, a platform supporting preservation and reuse of collected scientific and humanities data sets; and the Exchange, a system fostering interaction between students, educators and the public with works of art. We are a small, Brooklyn, NY-based company that provides consulting, software development and hosting services around these projects to a diverse group of museums, foundations, universities and other non-profits worldwide.
Whirl-i-Gig seeks to add a creative and experimental front-end web developer to our team of experienced software developers, designers and system architects as we set out to create the next generation of responsive web and mobile platforms for museum, archival and scientific informatics. Working directly with world-class museums, universities and cultural organizations, you will help expand the range of our open-source offerings and craft solutions to enhance access and utility of collections.
You will collaborate in the design, development, testing and documentation of web-based applications for acquisition and presentation of collections data. You will participate in all aspects of the software development lifecycle, from design through coding, testing, documentation and end-user support. Responsibilities include:
- Assisting with design and development of successors to Pawtucket;
- Assisting where necessary with design and implementation of other informatics projects.
Whirl-i-Gig provides a friendly, flexible work environment. The position is full-time, permanent and salaried. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and skills and includes employee health and retirement (401k) benefits. Direct interaction with clients across a wide range of disciplines and the use of emerging technologies means the position also offers opportunities for professional development and growth, including attending conferences. Applicants will work out of our office in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. We are not considering applicants based outside of the New York Metro area at this time.
- Ability to effectively operate in a Linux-based application hosting environment
- Proven experience working on technical projects
- Self-motivated with ability to self-direct exploration of new technologies
- Strong written and oral English communication skills
- Availability to work in our office in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, NY
- Legal residency with work authorization
- Working familiarity with Git version control software and Github-provided services
- Knowledge of Wordpress and/or Drupal content management systems
- Familiarity with drafting of front-end project specifications, work plans and cost estimates.
Current projects are developed using:
- Version control: Git and Github
- Application frameworks: Rails (for the Exchange), VueJS (for Inquisite), Flask (for Inquisite and other informatics projects), Zend Framework (for CollectiveAccess)
- Search: Elasticsearch
- Database: MySQL (for CollectiveAccess and the Exchange), Neo4j (Inquisite), MongoDB (other informatics projects)
To apply please send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Last updated: Thursday, June 28, 2018 22:45 UTC