Remote Part-Time Senior Software Developer
Contract Remote / Telecommute
The Environmental Data and Governance Initiative (EDGI), an interdisciplinary and inter-professional network working to support evidence based, democratic environmental governance, is searching for a remote part-time Senior Software Developer to work on and support our Web Monitoring Platform, Scanner, used by our Web Monitoring Working Group. This part-time contract is for twelve months, with the opportunity to extend longer.
The Web Monitoring Platform, Scanner, monitors changes to tens of thousands of web pages across federal agencies (such as the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy) to trace how environmental data, information, and their presentation change. Our work has contributed to over 120 news articles in the past year and been reported by the New York Times, the Washington Post, Politico, and CNN. Read the EDGI annual report to find more information about the work of our entire organization.
Our technical stack
We’re also in the process of automating our deployment using Ansible.
We know no one checks every box. If you check off two or more of these tools, and are curious about the others, please reach out to us.
To learn more about our technical work, check out our github repository.
Here are some of the things you’ll do:
- Code new features to streamline the Website Monitoring Analysts workflow and eventually allow EDGI partners to use the platform.
- With the Website Monitoring Project Lead, manage the Scanner roadmap
- Maintain the code repositories with an eye towards making them easy for new contributors
- Work with the Project Lead and Website Monitoring Analysts to prioritize needs and issue and develop Scanner in a participatory fashion
- Assist onboarding new contributors and help mentor junior developers
- Facilitate and participate in group calls and conversations with subgroups, including volunteer analysts, developers, and partner organizations during business and off-peak hours across North American time zones
- Ensure EDGI has a reliable process for deploying software updates and responding to emergency issues.
- Advise and work collaboratively with EDGI’s steering committee, web-monitoring team and partner organizations on the release and future development of Scanner
Please email us at email@example.com with:
- Cover letter outlining why you are a fit for the position including:
- Short one paragraph description of your favorite project (Bonus if it is an open source project.)
- Links to previous work (e.g. Github, Bit Bucket, personal website)
- If you have experience with interacting with open-source communities, on-boarding new contributors, and mentoring junior developers, please mention that too.
- How you heard about this position (e.g. job board, listserv, etc.)
EDGI is a distributed collaboration operating under the fiscal sponsorship of the non-profit, Public Lab, with volunteer members across North America. EDGI strives to acknowledge and reduce barriers for members of equity-seeking groups through fair hiring practices in line with Public Lab. We expect everyone to follow our Code of Conduct and principles of friendliness, respect, empathy, and open communication.
Public Lab is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from women and people of all ethnic and national origins and sexual orientations.
Last updated: Friday, May 25, 2018 17:41 UTC