The George Washington University Libraries & Academic Innovation (GWLAI) is seeking applications for a Programmer, Integrated Library System (ILS). The successful candidate will combine a strong service orientation and experience in application development to ensure that GWLAI maintains and builds upon its commitment to excellence in facilitating information discovery that it delivers to the George Washington University (GWU) community.
The Programmer, ILS takes an innovative, service-centric approach to the management of the integrated library system and discovery systems. S/he will be responsible for managing the vendor-hosted ILS (Alma), discovery tool (Primo), and link resolver; and proxy authentication system (EZproxy). The Programmer, ILS will perform software development, front end design, and other tasks as required for the ongoing enhancement or maintenance of GWLAI custom software tools, primarily in support of information discovery. A successful candidate will be able to thoughtfully integrate library systems with other campus systems. These include but are not limited to: GWU student information systems, enterprise accounting systems, Blackboard, LibGuides, InterLibrary Loan, ArchivesSpace, and Hyrax. The Programmer, ILS will serve as part of GWLAI’s Scholarly Technology Group which is composed of software developers, Librarians, IT professionals, and GIS specialists working on projects that include software development, digital collections, and research support initiatives.
Daily responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage and support the full software lifecycle from requirements to implementation, production support, enhancement, and maintenance
- Lead development or be in a supporting role in a wide range of collaborative software projects, from backend to frontend, using multiple languages and frameworks, with scopes big and small, on short deadlines and for ongoing projects.
- Extends functionality of systems and groups by performing requirement gathering, solution design, programming for new or existing tools, configuration, troubleshooting, training, and other management tasks and make any necessary software enhancements to improve service delivery in the ILS environment.
- Develop connections and/or automation that improves information delivery, business processes, reporting, and analytics.
- Leverage vendor-provided Application Program Interfaces (APIs) through original and community software development projects to create new user applications and support data-driven decision making
- Manage upgrades for the components of the information discovery ecosystem in cooperation with vendors and users
- Preparing technical documentation, creating unit tests, conducting training for users, and monitoring the operations of discovery and resource delivery systems
- Serve as a technical representative relating to library systems software, standards, and infrastructure at the Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC). WRLC is a consortium of research Libraries in the Washington DC which supports and enhances the library and information services of its constituent members.
- Work with other GWLAI staff and consortial staff to improve processes, evolve systems, and think strategically to evolve our collections workflows.
The position is based at GW’s Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Last updated: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 14:54 UTC