The MIT Libraries are seeking an experienced Enterprise Systems Engineer to join the Enterprise Services Team, which works to deliver reliable and flexible systems and services, and to increase efficiencies of everyday tasks and operations that support the mission of the Libraries. We are committed to providing an excellent and stable production environment, and to planning and implementing continuous improvements to the Libraries technology portfolio.
You will provide technical expertise, day-to-day administration, and broad support for library enterprise systems. You will use solid technical knowledge, superb communication and social skills, to deliver the highest level of customer service to library staff and patrons. This includes first-line support, as well as maintenance and implementation of enterprise systems with main focus on the Aleph system and its successor, ERM systems, Discovery solutions, and a variety of other applications. This position will also play a key role in implementing the next generation of Library Services Platform.
Reporting to the Department Head of Technology Systems and Support Services, and collaborating with other library staff, you will:
• Work with the Enterprise Services team, to maintain and improve the library’s enterprise systems, and communicate with partners on daily work and planned tasks
• Provide technical expertise and knowledge in the project to implement a replacement of the Aleph system
• Manage partner relationships and assist the supervisor in providing clear and consistent communication around areas of responsibility
• Assist library units in the improvement of functional processes and workflows by enhancing and extending functionality of enterprise applications
• Help with tasks involving reporting and statistics
• Create scripts and implement APIs to optimize and enhance existing systems and data
• Explore new technologies and analyze solutions to meet library needs and take on business problems
• Document policies, standards and SLAs to formalize services and support functions
• Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of five years of relevant experience
• At least three years of experience with technologies needed to run the enterprise environment including systems administration tools (e.g. UNIX command structure, Apache, security standards) and programming languages (e.g. PHP, SQL, Perl, XML).
• Exposure to research libraries with knowledge of public and technical services
operations, as well as library standards (MARC, Dublin Core, OAI-PMH, etc.).
• Experience with Metadata transformation and the use of tools such as Regular
• Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, troubleshooting, time management skills, and
adeptness at conducting research into issues and products
• Ability to work successfully with external vendor support to update the software and
resolve issues affecting production systems in a timely manner
• Demonstrable skills in producing high quality documentation to be used by a diverse
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate with a
diverse group of technical and non-technical clients and staff.
• Interest and ability in developing new skills through continuing education opportunities
such as self-learning, experimentation and formal training
• A Master’s degree in a technology related field
• Experience running large and complex projects at the enterprise level
• Exposure to archives and preservation functions and software
• Familiarity with project management concepts and frameworks, and with business
analysis tools and methods
• Demonstrated experience working with one or more research library systems such as:
integrated library systems, link resolvers, electronic resources management
applications, proxy services, digital repositories, interlibrary loan, discovery tools, and
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
$90,000 is minimum salary. Actual salary will depend on qualifications and experience. MIT offers
excellent benefits including a choice of health and retirement plans, a dental plan, tuition
assistance, and fully subsidized MBTA passes for local bus and subway service. Flexible work
arrangements, including flextime and telecommuting, are considered for positions that meet
established criteria. The MIT Libraries afford a flexible and collegial working environment and
foster professional growth of staff with management training and travel funding for professional
Apply online at: http://careers.mit.edu/; applications must include cover letter and resume. Priority
will be given to applications received by May 14, 2018; position open until filled. MIT is strongly and
actively committed to diversity within its community and particularly encourages applications from
qualified women and minority candidates. Professionals who enthusiastically embrace the empathy,
courage, self-reflection and respect of a multi-cultural, diverse and inclusive workplace, and who
strive to incorporate those values in their work and interactions are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Submitted by: email@example.com
Published: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 15:32 UTC