The Systems & Applications Librarian provides strategic and functional leadership in planning, implementing, and supporting library technologies. This position provides primary technical and application support for the systems, platforms, and technologies that support all library services, including circulation, physical and electronic collection management, resource sharing, research services & instruction, digital collections, and publishing. In addition, the Systems & Applications Librarian works collaboratively with the Libraries’ Center for Educational Technology & Curricular Innovation (CETCI), providing secondary support for educational technology platforms hosted by CETCI. This position also coordinates with university IT (University Information Systems) to manage library technology services effectively. Pacific University is a member of the Orbis Cascade Alliance, which maintains a shared integrated library system (Ex Libris ALMA/Primo); in this shared environment, this position works closely with Alliance staff and library staff at member institutions, and serves as the Libraries’ representative to various consortium initiatives and groups. This position requires strong analytical, communication, and project management skills to develop and implement successful technology strategies for library operations and functions. The Systems & Applications Librarian reports to the Dean of University Libraries, is a member of the Library Faculty, and works as a library team member in a rapidly changing environment. Library faculty members are expected to engage in university and professional service, as well as relevant scholarly activities that advance personal and institutional practice. This is an 11-month annual contract on an extended-term track appointment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide leadership in planning, implementing, and supporting library technology, collaborating with all Libraries departments to understand technology needs and empower Libraries faculty and staff to use and guide development of systems relevant to their work
- Primary technical and systems responsibilities for library systems and platforms, including, but not limited to: the integrated library system (Ex Libris ALMA) and discovery platform (Ex Libris Primo); libraries’ website (WordPress); subject guides and database A-Z (Springshare LibGuides); digital collections platforms (Omeka, ContentDM); and electronic resource authentication (EZProxy)
- Primary responsibility for Libraries system and application upgrades, including configuration, maintenance, integration, troubleshooting, quality assurance and testing, and training and support of library staff.
- Secondary technical support responsibilities for additional vendor-hosted platforms (e.g. bepress Digital Commons) and for CETCI educational technology applications (e.g. Wordpress)
- Design and execute analytics and reporting queries in library and educational technology systems to support assessment of workflows, collections/resources, services, platforms, and user experience/outcomes across the Libraries
- Develop and maintain documentation to support applications and document decisions regarding library software/hardware.
- Participate in relevant Orbis Cascade Alliance groups and teams and contribute to the shared work of the Alliance.
- Provide support for library staff concerning computing-malfunctions and troubleshooting in collaboration with University Information Services.
- Evaluate and document library systems hardware and software requirements and evaluate computer replacement schedules.
- Contribute to internal Libraries and University committees and cross-functional project groups
- Fulfill the responsibilities of a library faculty member by participating in shared governance, in university and professional service, and in scholarly/creative activities that inform the duties of this position.
- Provide training to library faculty and staff on core Libraries systems and applications
- Perform other, relevant duties as needed/required.
JOB SCOPE: This position is responsible for planning, implementing, and supporting library systems and applications in a multi-campus environment, including support for systems and applications used by students in online/distance education programs. This position does not have primary responsibility for systems and applications delivered by CETCI, but works collaboratively with CETCI staff to provide support for these systems as needed.
SUPERVISOR RESPONSIBILITY: This position has no staff supervisory responsibility; this position may supervise student employees.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program
- Two years experience working in a library technology position, preferably in an academic library, or an equivalent combination experience.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & BEHAVIORS:
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Experience supporting systems and applications in one or more areas of library systems: library automation/integrated library systems, digital library services, search and discovery, Web services, Web-based content management, etc.
· Understanding of client/server environment, and experience with software applications needed to administer application environments. This may include Microsoft Windows Server, UNIX/Linux, Oracle/SQL Server, XML, PNX, etc.
- Ability to develop, implement, and assess project plans related to information technology projects.
- Evidence of experience in establishing priorities and seeing projects through to completion.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, organization, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Commitment to fostering a diverse educational environment and workplace and an ability to work effectively and collegially with a diverse library, faculty, staff, and student population.
- Ability to work effectively both in a team setting and independently.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, March 22, 2018 22:51 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, March 22, 2018 22:51 UTC