Position Summary: The Student Success Librarian will work closely with librarians, faculty, and university partners to lead and develop library services that support student success, recruitment, and retention. At the heart of this new position is a chance to harness evidence from a growing body of retention and library research that suggests that academic libraries have a positive impact on student outcomes. This position will support student-centered learning, focusing on building library research skills and engaging students with the tools of scholarship. The position reports to the Director of Library Services.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
* Provides in-person and online research assistance and instruction;
* Develops library research guides and instructional materials;
* Collaborates with faculty to develop and offer customized, course-integrated instruction;
* Collaborates with librarians and university partners to integrate library collections and services into learning management systems;
* Serves as collection development liaison to designated academic departments;
* Participates in the libraries' student engagement programs and outreach activities;
* Coordinates assessment of library student success initiatives and participates in assessment of university-wide initiatives;
* Serves on library and university committees and task forces;
* Collaborates with other university units in support of student success, recruitment, and retention initiatives.
Other Job Duties and Responsibilities:
* Develops and implements library programs and services with an emphasis on information literacy/digital literacy;
* Incorporates new and existing technologies and platforms into reference and instruction programs and services;
* Night and weekend hours are expected;
* Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
* Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment;
* Strong commitment to service excellence;
* Experience providing research assistance with resources in both print and electronic formats;
* Experience providing library instruction;
* Experience with LibGuides software or other web development tools;
* Experience designing learning objects such as tutorials and videos;
* Experience working with learning management systems, such as Blackboard;
* Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively in a diverse academic community;
* Flexibility, adaptability, and the ability to work successfully in a complex, dynamic environment with competing demands.
Required Education and/or Work Experience: MLS or equivalent from an ALA accredited program; preference given to one (1) or more years' professional experience in an academic library setting.
Preferred Education and/or Work Experience: Knowledge in the assessment of teaching and educational programs and best practices in pedagogy and instructional design; Experience in outreach and marketing to students and faculty; Experience with needs assessment and program development and the ability to provide leadership in project management; Experience working with undergraduates of diverse ages, as well as from socioeconomic, cultural, and academic backgrounds.
Quick Link for Position
Student Success Librarian
From a personal perspective, while this is a public-services position rather than a strictly techy one, I think librarians here have some nice opportunities to explore and advance technologies. Our librarians tend to wind up having the chance to wear many hats!
Last updated: Wednesday, May 9, 2018 16:47 UTC