At NYPL, we have a hands-on, creative technical team and a big public mission that reaches beyond NYC to the world. It’s pretty much as cool as it sounds. Be a part of the engineering team which builds and maintains digital applications for one of the largest and leading public libraries in the world. NYPL Digital is seeking a talented full-stack developer who can help us serve millions of library users and translate our vision into maintainable, high performing, and scalable software solutions through the use of stellar software engineering practices.
As a full-stack Applications Developer, you’ll champion best practices and collaboration in our quest for ever greater public access to information. You’ll help reshape the world of library lending and e-books to help build innovative discovery, data, and platform solutions and our SimplyE and Open eBooks mobile and web applications. You’re passionate about building a beautiful technical architecture but equally enthusiastic about collaborating with other developers. Working at the main NYPL branch location (of Ghostbusters fame), you'll experience the pleasure of working full-time on open-source software while enjoying a healthy work-life balance.
- Collaborate closely with product managers, leadership, and fellow developers to build awesome products
- Build solutions as needed across NYPL Digital including our e-books platform (SimplyE), platform services, and web properties
- Architect services and applications following best practices and engineering values (https://github.com/NYPL/engineering-general)
- Demonstrate initiative in helping evolve the NYPL Digital team through learning and teaching about new technologies and practices
- Provide guidance on engineering best practices
- Provide guidance on technology and architecture decisions
NYPL Core Values
- 3+ years experience with collaborative software development
- Demonstrated experience with best practices like testing, CI/CD, documentation, logging, etc.
- Demonstrated experience creating scalable and secure back-end services using Node, Ruby, or similar technologies
- Demonstrated experience writing front-end applications
- Demonstrated experience working with relational databases like PostgreSQL, MySQL, or similar technologies
- Possesses a working knowledge of Git and collaborative programming practices (e.g. code reviews)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Architecture, Web Development, Digital Design, or a related field (or equivalent professional experience)
- Willingness to use the right (but perhaps new) technology for the job
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g. AWS)
- Experience with search technologies (e.g. Elasticsearch)
- Self-starter, with ability to work under pressure on multiple tasks
- Write and speak as well as you can code (there are often opportunities to write and present about our work inside and outside The Library)
- Strong desire to make a huge impact on how the public is able to access knowledge.
- Office setting
- Office hours, weekend and evenings as needed occasionally
Last updated: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 23:15 UTC
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 23:15 UTC