Provides analysis, troubleshooting, implementation, and support for the River Campus Libraries (RCL) of hardware and software. Provides excellent customer service by quickly and professionally identifying and resolving issues for audio-visual equipment and computers, minimizing disruption to service.
Under the general direction of the Department Head of Library IT Services, with latitude for independent initiative, the Desktop Support Specialist provides the following services:
30% End-User Support
· Provides first level technical support, maintenance, and urgent IT problems
· Assesses, analyze, and troubleshoot customer technical issues in any manner
· Ensures that problems are diagnosed and resolved in a timely, professional manner
· Works with colleagues to understand business requirements, consulting with management if a non-standard solution may be required
· Conducts training with colleagues on hardware and applications as needed
30% Hardware Support
· Deploys new and replacement computers, printers, and other peripherals in a timely manner
· Investigates and corrects workstation hardware problems
· Troubleshoots a wide variety of technical issues, including printing and audio-visual equipment issues
· Creates equipment needs lists based on user input
· Helps in researching, creating, and documenting hardware configurations for staff devices
30% Software Support
· Installs workstation operating system upgrades, software, and any necessary updates.
· Determines upgrade needs and procedures for workstation security, software, and licensing.
· Documents, organizes and maintains software installation procedures.
· Researches and recommends new software applications.
· Works with network administrators to configure and secure workstations.
10% Professional Development and Service
· Participates in University and RCL committees and meetings required
· Keeps abreast of trends as they relate to the computer field by self study, attending job related seminars, courses or conferences which enhance personal development and strengthen ability to develop assigned staff
· Performs other related duties as required, including presentation of seminars, courses, and instruction on computer services as required
- Identifies opportunities and update departmental documentation when needed
· Associate’s degree in related discipline plus 1-2 years’ experience in related field Excellent customer service skills
· Exceptional customer services skills
· Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written
· Experience supporting Windows, Mac, and mobile devices
· Experience with JIRA or other support/ticketing management systems
The University and the Library
The University of Rochester Libraries belongs to the Association of Research Libraries and has collections of more than three million volumes and more than 44,000 active serial titles. The River Campus Libraries, the largest of three library systems at the University of Rochester, is embarking upon a new strategic plan making this a very exciting time to join our organization and the University of Rochester. This provides a unique opportunity for incumbents to implement the strategies to achieve the Libraries vision of becoming a collaborative hub of innovation in support of the Schools we support. For more information on the University and the Libraries, please consult our website: www.library.rochester.edu.
The University of Rochester is the sixth largest private employer in New York State and one of the nation's leading private universities with just over 5,600 undergraduate and over 4,600 full and part-time graduate students on the River Campus. Located in Rochester, New York, the University gives students exceptional opportunities for interdisciplinary study and close collaboration with faculty through its unique cluster-based curriculum.
Among the 100 largest metropolitan regions in the country, Greater Rochester has earned a reputation as one of the most livable communities in the nation. Located on the southern shore of Lake Ontario and gateway to the scenic Finger Lakes, Rochester offers its 1.1 million residents the amenities of a metropolitan area with a quality of life not available in many urban regions.
Rochester is recognized as one of the most affordable housing markets in the country. Several high schools in the metropolitan area have been consistently listed by Newsweek as among the best in the country. The metropolitan area boasts 20,000 acres of parkland and offers year-round recreational opportunities for those who like to be outdoors in all seasons. In addition to hosting past PGA and Ryder cup tournaments and the LPGA tour, Rochester is also home to top-level minor league baseball, hockey, soccer, and lacrosse teams.
For more information about living in Rochester, see Visit Rochester
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE AT: http://www.rochester.edu/working/hr/jobs/
Reference ID: 205746
Position will remain open until filled. Please ALSO send letter of application, resume, and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three references to:
Kelley Kitrinos RCLHR@library.rochester.edu
The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer: EOE Minorities / Females / Protected/ Veterans / Disabled
How to apply
Published: Sunday, December 31, 2017 13:00 UTC
Last updated: Sunday, December 31, 2017 13:00 UTC