Make a Lasting Impact
Senior Data Analyst
Ann Arbor, MI
At ITHAKA, we think nothing is better than knowing we are having a positive impact on the world. We impact the lives of millions of people and thousands of institutions every day both in ground-breaking ways and in small ways that mean a lot.
At ITHAKA, using evidence to drive decisions is one of our core values. As our Senior Data Analyst, you will play an essential role by providing analysis that enables data-driven decision-making by our internal teams and our external partners. You will be a strong collaborator with senior executives, business directors, product managers, and functional groups, effectively using data and analyses in strategy development and high-level decisions. You will also work closely with other data analysts, user researchers, and data technicians to generate reports and analyses. The data you will work with includes: web usage data, digital preservation data, bibliographic metadata, survey data, and a range of other business and financial data. To succeed, you must establish and maintain positive professional relationships with consumers of analytics services across our organization where teams have diverse and evolving information needs. This is an excellent opportunity to put your technical skills for performing data queries, reporting, and data visualization to work in an environment where evidence is highly valued and utilized.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with business directors, executive staff, product managers, and functional managers to generate and interpret reports and analyses supporting data-driven strategy development and decisions. This includes the development and testing of hypotheses and the design and tracking of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). Educate the Product organization in the practice of Product Analytics and the accompanying toolset.
- Within a general priority framework provided, independently manage a steady queue of information and analysis requests originating across the organization.
- Work closely with both internal teams and external partners to identify their information needs and creatively define the combination of data assembly, analysis, and visualizations needed.
- Proactively identify notable changes in patterns and trends that can inform/enable qualitative and quantitative data-driven decisions across the organization.
- Demonstrate full accountability for delivering high-quality output with a consistent focus on increasing the team or partner’s ability to make empirically informed, data-driven decisions.
- Maintain a good understanding of both our Data Warehouse and unit-specific ‘data marts’ utilized for Business Intelligence processing.
Skills, Experience, and Characteristics
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the areas of Data Analytics leveraging both qualitative and quantitative data to draw insights that help make product development decisions
- Strong interpersonal relationship development and management skills; experience providing information services to clients.
- Excellent analytical skills: defines analytic program needs and recommends proper analytical methodologies with the ability to execute against these programs independently.
- Experience with web analytics tools such as Google Analytics and SiteCatalyst.
- Experience with Tableau or other data visualization tool; certification a plus.
- Experience in analyzing trends and deriving user insights based on looking at a combination of both qualitative and quantitative data.
- Experience working with numerous small teams in a dynamic work environment, continuously managing multiple tasks and clients simultaneously.
- Excellent writing skills, including the ability to concisely delineate and clarify datasets, methods, and findings to internal clients, including senior managers and executives.
- Proficiency with data storage and warehousing using distributed systems such as Hadoop, HDFS, or Spark.
- Strong capabilities using database query languages (SQL) and the ability to perform some programming tasks is essential (Python, R, and/or shell scripting would be desirable).
- Familiarity with AWS (Amazon Web Services) a plus.
- Working knowledge of web-based content delivery concepts. An understanding of the HTTP protocol and web interaction models is needed for analysis of web logging data.
- An understanding of basic statistical concepts.
- Business process analysis.
- Excellent academic record with an undergraduate degree; focus on quantitative methods (information science, math & statistics, computer science, public policy, etc) a plus.
- A degree in related field desired.
As a not-for-profit organization, we care deeply about our mission. We work with leaders in the global higher education community to advance and preserve knowledge and to improve teaching and learning through the use of digital technologies. We also help colleges and universities develop strategies that will broaden access to higher education while reducing the cost and improving student outcomes. We are passionate about the value of education and are driven to help our universities, colleges, and high schools become better, more affordable, and more effective, and to reach beyond these traditional walls to support learners everywhere.
In two decades, we have launched some of the most transformative and widely used services in higher education: JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R. In addition, ITHAKA recently entered into a strategic alliance with Artstor and furthers a number of Artstor’s initiatives. Our 300+ employees work closely with our user communities, day in and day out, to build and continuously improve upon these services, and to identify new opportunities to expand access to knowledge and learning.. As a successful, growing organization in a demanding and dynamic environment, we challenge ourselves to retain an entrepreneurial spirit that pursues and embraces change.
ITHAKA is headquartered in New York, New York with additional offices in Ann Arbor, Michigan and Princeton, New Jersey and provides legal oversight and services for, Artstor, also located in New York, New York. We also manage a subsidiary, Ithaka International, LLC. To expand our impact globally.
Mission and Funding
We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization, but our status is a reflection of our mission, not our funding model. Our work across these services is highly valued in the global higher education community, and we cover our costs by collecting fees in exchange for the access, preservation, and research and consulting services we provide. That exerts a real discipline on our operations in that we must continually adapt to the needs of our audiences to be worthy of their support. Thousands of higher education and related institutions around the world are ITHAKA’s primary financial supporters; their JSTOR participation fees provide 88% of ITHAKA’s revenue. Our 99% renewal rate for JSTOR generates stable recurring income, alleviating the dependency on fundraising that many not-for-profits experience. Because the organizations share our commitment to our mission, we have the financial resources necessary to maintain a great work environment that encourages innovation and excellence.
Work for us
Come join our team of talented and dedicated people with great ideas who want to make the world a smarter place. Individuals will be rewarded with excellent career development and a fantastic benefits package that includes:
- Choice of two medical plans, one at no cost to the employee
- Employer paid dental, vision, life insurance, and employee assistance programs
- Employer contributed retirement and much, much more
How to apply:
Interested candidates can submit their resume, a detailed cover letter, and salary requirements to:
ITHAKA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
How to apply
Published: Saturday, November 18, 2017 01:11 UTC
Last updated: Saturday, November 18, 2017 01:11 UTC