Library Applications Developer
Full time Remote / Telecommute
The Chemical Heritage Foundation is seeking a full-time Library Applications Developer. The Library Applications Developer will work with CHF’s digital collections team to develop software that manages, preserves and provides access to CHF’s diverse digital assets drawn from its Library, Museum, and Center for Oral History. The Library Applications Developer will also be involved in all technical aspects related to the customization, maintenance, and deployment of the open source digital repository system Samvera (formerly Hydra, a technology stack comprising Fedora Commons, Solr, Blacklight, and Ruby on Rails). The Library Applications Developer may also write, maintain, document and troubleshoot code for customizing other open source software and applications, such as ArchivesSpace. This is an exciting opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects with a collaborative team and to contribute back to open source communities by pushing code upstream whenever possible. This position is based at our Philadelphia HQ office, but the option of working remotely is available if the ideal candidate lives outside of the geographical area.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
· Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field.
· Two to five years of professional work experience as a software developer.
· Demonstrated proficiency in a major web language such as Ruby, Python, or PHP
· Previous experience working with some of the following technologies:
o SQL(postgres preferred)
o Major web framework such as Ruby on Rails or Django
o RESTful web APIs
o Standards-compliant HTML and CSS
o Linux command-line
o Version control with Git and GitHub
- Familiarity with a variety of data exchange formats, including XML, RDF and/or JSON.
- Strong communication skills, including an ability to communicate effectively with non-specialists.
- Motivation for self-directed learning of new technologies.
- Previous work experience in a library, museum or other cultural heritage institution is a plus.
- Some experience with Samvera or a similar collection management system is a plus.
To be considered for this position, please send cover letter with salary expectations, resume/CV and contact information for 3 professional references to:
– CHF is an Equal Opportunity Employer –
The Chemical Heritage Foundation is a non-profit organization that preserves the history and heritage of chemistry, chemical engineering, life sciences and related technologies. In bridging science with the humanities, arts and social sciences, CHF is committed to building a vibrant, international community of scholars; creating a rich source of traditional and emerging media; expanding the reach of our museum; and engaging the broader society through inventive public events. CHF is located in the heart of beautiful Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia. For further information, visit our website at www.chemheritage.org.
How to apply
Apply at: LibAppDeveloper2017@chemheritage.org
Submitted by: email@example.com
Published: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 19:55 UTC