Villanova University's Falvey Memorial Library seeks a highly-motivated and collaborative individual to join the library and lead the preservation and digital archiving activities. This position is a member of Collections & Scholarship and works directly with members of the internal and external communities.
Reporting to the Director of Distinctive Collections and Digital Engagement, the Preservation and Digital Archivist is responsible for all aspects of the University's archival collections including: acquisitions, preservation, arrangement and description, outreach, technology, and digital projects. Develops digital records practices. The incumbent provides archival reference related to the University Archives collections.
The Preservation and Digital Archivist develops and implements library-wide programs for preservation, disaster preparedness and other efforts to enhance preservation of library material, according to national standards, and provides leadership and direction for comprehensive library preservation programs, including defining and prioritizing needs, establishing goals, objectives, plans, and their implementation in alignment with the library's strategic direction.
* MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited institution with a focus in archival studies; or a Master's degree in History with an archival concentration, required.
* Second graduate degree in a relevant discipline, preferred.
* SAA Digital Archives Specialist certificate, preferred.
* 1+ years of experience in an academic library or cultural heritage library/archive.
* 1+ years of experience with issues related to the preservation of various formats.
* Extensive knowledge of digital archives and emerging digital curation practices.
* Experience with archival management best practices in an academic setting.
* Extensive knowledge of DACS, EAD, DCRM, and other archival and rare materials descriptive and encoding standards.
* Knowledge of national preservation standards and best practices.
* Excellent communication, analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills with the ability to present information and ideas clearly and concisely.
* High level of creativity, innovation, and strong concept skills.
* Demonstrated interest and enthusiasm for developing and maintaining relationships with diverse user communities.
The successful candidate will be appointed an appropriate Librarian rank depending on qualifications and experience.
Falvey Memorial Library is situated in the heart of campus and is central to academic life at Villanova University. Falvey, with a dedicated staff of approximately 50 FTE, is a friendly and exciting place to be that values work-life balance. The Library developed VuFind, an open-source ILS discovery layer, which is used by organizations world-wide, and was the university library recipient of the ACRL 2013 Excellence in Academic Libraries Award.
Villanova University is located on a beautiful 260-acre suburban campus close to Philadelphia and was founded in 1842 by the Order of Saint Augustine. Villanova provides a comprehensive education rooted in the liberal arts; a shared commitment to the Augustinian ideals of truth, unity and love; and a community dedicated to service to others.
Nominations and Applications:
To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume or CV, transcripts, and a list of three references with contact information via the Jobs at Villanova website: http://jobs.villanova.edu.This position is subject to the University's background check policy.
Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Last updated: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 15:32 UTC