Library Technology Developer
Falvey Memorial Library seeks a strategic, collaborative, and detail-oriented individual with a passion for libraries and open source software development to support, develop, test, deploy and maintain critical systems relied upon by staff and patrons for day-to-day operations.
Reporting to the Director of Library Technology, the Library Technology Developer accepting this position will focus primarily on improving library operations, both by supporting decision-making and planning related to migration from Ex Libris Voyager to a more modern Integrated Library System, and by strategically deploying automation and student labor to increase efficiency of day-to-day tasks. They will join a team of programmers and librarians in working to continually improve the library’s web presence and its support for staff and public technology needs. They will also actively participate in global open source communities working to improve the library technology landscape through such projects as VuFind and FOLIO.
Falvey Memorial Library is situated in the heart of campus and is central to academic life at Villanova University. Falvey, with a dedicated staff of approximately 50 FTE, is a friendly and exciting place to be that values work-life balance. The Library developed VuFind, an open-source ILS discovery layer, which is used by organizations world-wide, and was the university library recipient of the ACRL 2013 Excellence in Academic Libraries Award.
Villanova University is located on a beautiful 260-acre suburban campus close to Philadelphia and was founded in 1842 by the Order of Saint Augustine. Ranked among the nation’s top universities, Villanova supports its students’ intellectual growth and prepares them to become ethical leaders who create positive change everywhere life takes them.
Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University’s mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University’s mission and values.
Nominations and Applications:
To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and list of three references with contact information via the Jobs at Villanova website: http://jobs.villanova.edu. This position is subject to the University’s background check policy.
* 2+ years professional experience in application development, required. 5+ years of application development in a library or academic environment, strongly preferred.
* Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems or a related field required.
* Advanced degree in library science, information science, or a similar computing intensive field strongly preferred.
* Working knowledge of version control and collaboration tools such as Git or Subversion.
* Working knowledge of Linux administration.
* Familiarity with integrated library systems, such as Voyager, Sierra, Alma, Koha or FOLIO strongly preferred.
* Familiarity with the open source indexing tool Apache Solr strongly preferred.
* Strong grasp of current and emerging library descriptive & metadata standards, including MARC, Dublin Core, OAI-PMH, RDF, and RDA strongly preferred.
* Excellent writing skills for the preparation of clear, user-oriented documentation
* Personal leadership through example coupled with ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a results-driven, team-oriented environment.
Last updated: Thursday, September 7, 2017 03:50 UTC