The J. Willard Marriott Library is seeking a Digital Curation Librarian to support ongoing and emerging initiatives in the digital library program at the University of Utah. The position is located in the Digital Library Services department, which provides services for digitization, creation of descriptive metadata, preservation, and discovery of digital collections. The Marriott Library is home to a large-scale statewide digital newspapers program, Utah Digital Newspapers (https://digitalnewspapers.org/), containing over 20 million newspaper articles, and Digital Collections (https://collections.lib.utah.edu/) with over 700,000 digital items, including collections provided by external partners at the University of Utah as well as a variety of state agencies and local cultural heritage institutions.
The Marriott Library requires all tenure-track faculty to engage in significant research activity that produces scholarship which contributes to the national and international conversation in the library field.
The Marriott Library is a member of the ACRL Diversity Alliance, a program uniting academic libraries who share a commitment to increase the hiring pipeline of qualified, talented individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups.
• Descriptive metadata creation for new collections in the Digital Library, creating new metadata records using Dublin Core, the Mountain West Digital Library Metadata Application Profile, and/or other metadata standards
• Wrangle existing data, in spreadsheets or EAD Finding Aids to repurpose data programmatically, reducing the amount of manual work spent on metadata creation and improving efficiencies for metadata creation in Digital Library Services.
• Audit metadata from existing collections to identify clean-up projects and improve consistency in the Digital Library
• Supervise part-time metadata staff
• Support new initiatives for digital library work by consulting on a variety of projects for different departments, both in the library and on campus
• Engage in scholarship or creative activities consistent with the mission of the University and specific position responsibilities
• Serve on library and university committees
All faculty librarians serve the needs of University faculty, staff, and students along with members of the local community. Work across organizational lines is encouraged to support and strengthen all services in the Marriott Library. The Digital Curation Librarian will assist with implementing the Marriott Library’s Strategic Directions and will be expected to be professionally active through participation in appropriate professional societies and through research and publication.
• An MSI, MLIS, or MLS from an ALA-accredited institution.
• Commitment to engage in research and scholarship and potential to achieve promotion and tenure, as demonstrated by a record of research and scholarship and/or an ability to clearly articulate a research agenda.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities in a timely and efficient manner.
• Knowledge of current and emerging metadata standards and best practices
• Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
• Experience creating descriptive metadata for digital collections
• Demonstrated knowledge of metadata formats, standards, and schemas (e.g. Dublin Core, METS, MODS, EAD, MARC, etc.)
• Experience using emerging technologies for metadata creation and management
• Experience working with a digital asset management system (e.g. Islandora, Samvera, CONTENTdm)
• Knowledge of discovery tools and metadata practices supporting discovery
• Experience working with XML and XSLT metadata transformations
• Experience with scripting languages to manipulate metadata
• Experience with training and supervising student employees
• Knowledge of metadata in the context of the Digital Humanities
• Demonstrated proficiency and capability with information technology systems in the context of an academic Library
• Reading, writing, or speaking skills in a second language
Compensation: $53,000 – $58,000 dependent on qualifications, plus excellent benefits including a 14.2% retirement contribution to TIAA-CREF/Fidelity, outstanding medical and dental coverage, and ample and flexible paid sick and vacation time.
Preferred consideration will be given to all applications received by September 22, 2017.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, August 17, 2017 21:40 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, August 17, 2017 21:40 UTC