User Experience / Web Design Librarian
The University at Albany Libraries (State University of New York, Albany, NY) seeks applications for an energetic, flexible, and innovative User Experience / Web Design Librarian. This position will report to the Head of the Reference and Research Services Department.
Academic rank: Assistant Librarian or Senior Assistant Librarian; rank will be determined by the successful candidate's qualifications
- Collaborates with and leads the Website Development Team in designing, developing, and maintaining a functional, attractive, and usable website, including the mobile website
- Conducts website accessibility audits and tracks website usage
- Plans and coordinates usability assessment for digital and physical library resources and spaces
- Serves on the Online Public Interface Committee and collaborates with colleagues to enhance the interfaces of all the University Libraries' discovery products and systems
- Stays abreast of trends related to user-centered design and works collaboratively with colleagues to implement projects and programs designed to improve users' experience of the University Libraries
- Participates in initiatives of the Reference and Research Services Department
- Provides general reference service during assigned hours at the reference desk in the University Library (may include evenings and weekends) to students, faculty, staff, and community users, in person, by phone, via chat, and through the Personalized Assistance With Searching (PAWS) consultation service
- Research, publication, and service to the Libraries, University, and profession are expected to satisfy criteria for continuing appointment (tenure) and promotion.
- Master's degree in librarianship from an ALA-accredited program or foreign equivalent, from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in web design and current web design tools
- Experience leading usability studies and designing patron-centered spaces (digital and/or physical) within a library setting
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills, and an understanding of tools and technologies relevant to evaluation, measurement, and assessment of library services
- Experience providing reference services in person and virtually
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population
- Experience creating complete interface designs and web graphics
- Project management experience
For additional information, including application instructions:
Application deadline: September 11, 2017
The University at Albany is an EO/AA/IRCA/ADA employer.
About the University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses. Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
The University at Albany Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries.
Published: Thursday, August 10, 2017 17:25 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, August 10, 2017 17:25 UTC