HathiTrust Member Engagement and Communications Specialist
HathiTrust Digital Library has an opportunity for a collaborative and
service-focused individual to plan and manage the activities that will
enhance HathiTrust membership, member engagement with HathiTrust services,
and communications that convey the values of membership.
HathiTrust is a growing partnership of research and academic libraries that
are working together to ensure permanent access to the record of human
knowledge. HathiTrust was founded in 2008 to develop a common good approach
to the development of library collections and services at the largest
possible scale. Today HathiTrust’s member libraries number more than 125
worldwide. Together they support a certified trusted digital repository,
which holds more than 15 million digitized books, and a number of programs
that extend the power of this collection:
The HathiTrust Research Center, based at the University of Illinois and
Indiana University, develops and offers services supporting advanced
computational research using the HathiTrust collections.
The HathiTrust Shared Print Program secures retention commitments at member
libraries for print holdings that mirror book titles in the HathiTrust
The HathiTrust U.S. Federal Documents Program expands digital access to all
U.S. federal publications by building a comprehensive HathiTrust digital
collection of federal documents.
The Member Engagement and Communications Specialist will lead and develop
our efforts to engage our members more in HathiTrust’s development and
encourage them to take advantage of our services. The individual who joins
our team will have the chance to help build our community and to develop
and execute communications strategies to do so. The successful candidate
will be service minded, dedicated to our mission, and excited to elucidate
the mission, values, and services of HathiTrust for its members, for the
library and academic community, and for the wider world.
This position at the University of Michigan reports to the HathiTrust
Director of Services and Operations. The HathiTrust Member Engagement and
Communications Specialist is an employee of the University of Michigan and
operates within the rules and policies of the University of Michigan.
Relocation to Ann Arbor, MI is required. This position will be a full-time,
three-year term appointment with the possibility of renewal.
1) Communicates the value and mission of HathiTrust. (40%)
- Develops HathiTrust’s overall communications strategies, and
coordinates all communications according to the strategy.
- Manages the HathiTrust web site and social media presence.
- Writes, creates and edits communications including announcements, news
releases, newsletter articles, social media posts, etc. for members and
- Serves as liaison to member communications offices.
- Oversees review/updating of HathiTrust branding/identity.
2) Promotes member engagement in HathiTrust services. (40%)
- Develops programs and materials to help member libraries integrate
HathiTrust services into their local environments.
- Supports the development of the HathiTrust user community among its
- Plans and/or supports initiatives and projects to assess and analyze
HathiTrust member needs in coordination with other HathiTrust staff.
- Supports planning and development of annual HathiTrust member meeting.
3) Leads new member development. (20%)
- Creates marketing materials to help recruit new HathiTrust members,
and conducts outreach to engage potential new members.
- Responds to information requests from potential new members and
facilitates the application process.
- Conducts new member onboarding activities.
- Bachelor's degree in library science, journalism, English,
communications, public relations, or a related field. For appointment as a
librarian, an ALA-accredited master’s degree, or a relevant advanced
degree, is required.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing communication
strategies with multiple media vehicles including print, web, and social
- Ability to work both collaboratively and autonomously, and to interact
effectively with colleagues in HathiTrust, across the University, and with
constituents from a wide variety of member institutions.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills; demonstrated
ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Strong customer service mindset.
- Ability to set priorities, handle multiple assignments and deadlines,
and display excellent judgment and attention to detail while functioning in
a flexible and professional manner.
- Ability to travel within the United States 3-5 times per year, in
addition to conference travel and professional development travel.
- Master's degree in library/information science, communications,
journalism, English, public administration, nonprofit administration, or a
- Experience working with libraries, non-profit organizations, and/or
higher education institutions.
- Familiarity with digital library and library information technology
concepts and requirements, e.g., digitization processes, text and graphic
file formats, trusted repository requirements, descriptive and technical
- Familiarity with core library information processes and technologies,
e.g., ILS systems, MARC cataloging, search strategies, research services
- Experience developing website content using Drupal or similar content
management system, HTML coding, and CSS.
*Benefits, Rank, and Salary*
Appointment is anticipated as a Communications Specialist or at the rank of
Assistant or Associate Librarian. Salary and rank are dependent on the
candidate’s qualifications and experience. Librarian appointments carry
with them increased expectations regarding professional development,
professional engagement, research, and service, in keeping with the
library’s process for librarian promotion and advancement.
The University of Michigan offers excellent benefits and wellness
opportunities. This position receives 24 days of vacation a year and 15
days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as
opportunities for professional development and travel. TIAA-CREF and
Fidelity Investments retirement options are available.
*How to Apply*
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should
be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should
address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and
experience that directly relate to this position. Apply here.
*U-M EEO/AA Statement*
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
Last updated: Monday, July 24, 2017 23:08 UTC