Semantic Expert, Semantic Ontologies Implementation Project– KNL
Established in 1959, the Inter-American Development Bank (“IDB” or “Bank”) is the main source of financing for economic, social and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. It provides loans, grants, guarantees, policy advice and technical assistance to the public and private sectors of its borrowing countries.
The Knowledge and Learning Sector (KNL) is responsible for disseminating knowledge, both internally and externally, for establishing the institutional learning agenda and delivering activities for staff and counterparts. KNL promotes an approved institutional knowledge and learning strategy to improve conditions for the acquisition, creation, dissemination, and use of knowledge needed for the effectiveness of Bank operations.
Within the next three years, KNL will coordinate an organizational-wide effort to implement semantic web and linked data technologies at the back end of existing knowledge applications, with the final goal of making the Bank’s knowledge more open and visible externally and internally.
The objective of the consultancy is to provide technological advice and knowledge outputs to the project management team during the planning and execution phases of the semantic web and linked data technologies project.
KNL seeks a knowledgeable, experienced and solutions-driven semantic technologies expert to join its established team of information professionals. The Semantic Expert (SE) will be responsible for the activities described below:
* Developing technological requirements and user stories for the implementation of semantic web and linked data technologies in internal and external knowledge platforms, such as the institutional project management system, document management system, publications and data repositories, and the external website;
* Conducting interviews and analyzing platforms under the scope of the project, to gain complete understanding of existing content and technologies, leverage their use, and assess risk factors;
* In collaboration with the Project manager, developing terms of reference and participating in an external competition for a selection of the vendor/s that will implement semantic technologies;
* Investigating and understanding the business requirements to analyze the content, functions and needs of the Business Units and using this knowledge along with their semantic expertise to assist in the assessment and selection of external vendors;
* Leading and providing functional and technical guidance and supervision of activities executed by external vendors, in collaboration with the SMEs, to assure work alignment with business needs;
* Coordinating with the project Manager and the vendor project managers for planning and detailed implementation plan definition, monitoring progress, and reporting to the Bank any risks and dependencies that might be detected;
* Ensuring that relevant documentation (business requirements, project related, and software documentation) are properly developed and made available throughout the project;
* Coordinating the architecture implementation and design of the semantic stack;
* Following all ITE standards (architecture, PMO, Security,). For this purpose, we will facilitate necessary immersion and contacts;
* Other duties as assigned.
Reports / Deliverables
The SE will be delivering the following reports or deliverables for this consultancy:
1. Requirements Document;
2. Terms of Reference for Technologies Procurement (Request for Proposal) Document;
3. Architecture and infrastructure design of the semantic stack for each system within the scope of the project;
4. Software licensing analysis;
5. Taxonomies and ontologies, mappings, inference rules, federation strategy, URIs, key SPARQL queries and other related semantic stack deliverables using information provided by both the IDB and vendors;
6. Lessons learned and Recommendations for next steps.
· Academic Degree / Level & Years of Professional Work Experience: Bachelor’s degree in areas related to Information Sciences, Computer Sciences, Information Management, Library Sciences, or similar. Graduate Degree desirable. 4 years of relevant professional experience.
· Languages: Fluent in English. Spanish desirable.
· Areas of Expertise:
o Demonstrated subject knowledge in semantic modeling using international standards such as RDF, OWL, and SPARQL;
o Hands on experience with controlled vocabularies (thesauri, taxonomies, ontologies) in a in a knowledge organization;
o Experience with Semantic Technology platforms, such as PoolParty or the Watson suite of tools;
o Job-related experience, a technical degree, or exposure in socio-economic development is desired.
o Ability to explain and communicate technologies to the layman;
o Ability to work independently and collaboratively;
o Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
o Ability to use technology in creative ways to solve problems and/or facilitate workflow; Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills.
Characteristics of the Consultancy
· Consultancy category and modality: Temporary Term Contractual, Monthly
· Contract duration: 3 months
· Place(s) of work: Headquarters
· Responsible person: Unit Chief Library; Learning & Knowledge Management Advisor
Payment and Conditions: Compensation will be determined in accordance with Bank’s policies and procedures. The Bank, pursuant to applicable policies, may contribute toward travel and moving expenses. In addition, candidates must be citizens of an IDB member country.
Visa and Work Permit: The Bank, pursuant to applicable policies, may submit a visa request to the applicable immigration authorities; however, the granting of the visa is at the discretion of the immigration authorities. Notwithstanding, it is the responsibility of the candidate to obtain the necessary visa or work permits required by the authorities of the country(ies) in which the services will be rendered to the Bank. If a candidate cannot obtain a visa or work permit to render services to the Bank the contractual offer will be rescinded
Consanguinity: Pursuant to applicable Bank policy, candidates with relatives (including the fourth degree of consanguinity and the second degree of affinity, including spouse) working for the Bank as staff members or Complementary Workforce contractuals, will not be eligible to provide services for the Bank.
Diversity: The Bank is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities to all candidates. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
Last updated: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 18:37 UTC
How to apply
Chief of Library Services
Felipe Herrera Library
Knowledge and Learning Sector
Tel: (202) 623-3918
Fax: (202) 623-3183
1300 New York Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20577
Published: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 18:37 UTC