Systems Support Engineer Senior (Job Number: 0174923)
Job Purpose: Responsible for advanced level design, integration, implementation and modification of a wide variety of user information systems usually within a highly complex environment. This includes coordination of the installation, testing, operation, troubleshooting and maintenance of those systems. Provide functional and technical expertise in support of user systems operation and maintenance. May include support of labs, training facilities and general IT office software and hardware. Provides technical advice and leadership to lower level technical staff.
- Conduct needs analysis, planning and scheduling the installation of a wide variety of new or modified hardware/software.
- Develop functional and technical IT system requirements and specifications.
- Provide technical support through allocating systems resources, managing accounts, administering passwords, documentation, security, recoverability and access including deploying security and operating system patches.
- Monitor and reports on system performance.
- Support internal departmental servers.
- Maintain hardware and software inventories including developing and updating departmental distributed software license management policy.
- Makes technical presentations to other technical personnel and user department administrators.
- May lead project technical team; provide technical advice to lower level technical staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor's in Computer Science or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Work Experience: Four to six years job related experience.
- Certifications: N/A
- Skills: This job requires advanced knowledge of complex concepts, practices and procedures associated with IT systems design, installation and maintenance. Expert knowledge in variety of applications and platforms is required.
- Preferred Education: N/A
- Preferred Work Experience: N/A
- Preferred Certifications: N/A
- Preferred Skills: Operating Systems: RedHat Linux, Windows Server 2008+; VMware 6 (ESX, vSphere), cloud/virtualization environments and concepts; Nagios (or other monitoring suites); RDBMS (DBA capabilities with MySQL/MariaDB and PostgreSQL); Scripting in Bash, Python, and/or Ruby; Configuration management and performance tuning of App/Web tier (Apache, Tomcat, IIS); Version Control (git); Experience with networking protocols and concepts; Technical leadership skills
Additional Information: N/A
Impact & Influence: This position will interact on a consistent basis with: system staff and departmental users including management. This position typically will advise and counsel: systems staff. This position will supervise: N/A (work direction only)
The Georgia Tech Library is reimagining library spaces, services and collections on a campus where the students, faculty, and staff live and work on the leading edge of technology, research, and innovation. The Information Technology and Development (IT&D) team reorganized to align with the Library 's operational and academic direction to support the next generation of library services with an emphasis on online services and digital experiences. In order for the library to realize its strategic objectives, we are seeking a System Support Engineer Sr position.
The Systems Support Engineer Sr is responsible for Library IT infrastructure management based on the needs of existing and planned applications in a DevOps team environment. This position provides advanced planning, development, documentation, problem resolution and support in the installation, maintenance, and security of computing systems in a multi-tiered, distributed server environment at the Georgia Tech Library.
Job: Information Technology
Primary Location: Georgia-Atlanta
Organization: Library and Learning Excellence
Job Posting: May 15, 2017, 8:42:00 AM
Hiring Range: N/A
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 16:13 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 16:13 UTC