The West Virginia University Libraries is seeking a Linux Server Administrator (Professional Technologist 3). This position will be involved with site reliability engineering, DevOps, and Linux server installation and maintenance. This position will report to the Head of Web and Digital Services at the WVU Libraries.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
* Develop highly available, highly maintainable server architectures using best practices, in particular to accommodate the addition of new Vega publishing software (vegapublish.com).
* Perform advanced configuration and automation for common services.
* Establish and maintain suitable resource and performance monitoring on all related systems.
* Install and support third-party software applications.
* Work on connecting Vega to an Institutional Repository and Digital Asset Management System.
* Work with the Digital Publishing Institute staff and stakeholders to develop workflows for publishing.
* Maintain current knowledge of security-related issues, industry standards and IT infrastructure best practices.
* Design, develop and work in a shared/version-controlled (GIT) development and deployment environment.
* Excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, work environment and work independently, as well as with members of a team, and be able to communicate effectively with individuals having varying degrees of technical background.
* Work with other professional technologists in the WVU Libraries and at WVU, including with the Digital Publishing Institute, as well as developers of open source software applications outside the University
* Install and maintain Linux computer servers in a VMWare ESX environment.
As an integral part of a land-grant institution, West Virginia University Libraries serve the university community and state residents. The library system is composed of the Downtown Campus Library, Charles C. Wise Jr. Library, Evansdale Library, Health Sciences Library, West Virginia and Regional History Center, and libraries at Potomac State College and West Virginia Institute of Technology. Onsite collections include more than 2.4 million books, 500,000 eBooks, and 80,000 online journals. WVU Libraries belong to the Pennsylvania Academic Library Consortium, Inc. and the Greater Western Library Association.
* Bachelor's degree in information science and technology, computer science or a related field; an equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered
* Four years of experience working with Linux, MySQL and Apache Web Server
* Experience with the following preferred:
* Vagrant, Docker, Ansible, Nagios
* Git and GitHub
* PHP Ruby/Ruby on Rails, Bash Python and/or Perl
* Interest in working in an IT environment that is involved in innovation related to digital humanities publishing
* Background check
* Letter of interest
* Three professional references
Preference will be given to applications received by April 14, 2017.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer athttp://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and Veterans.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 05:12 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 05:12 UTC