Library Technology Developer (Digital Library)
Falvey Memorial Library seeks a strategic, collaborative, and detail-oriented individual with a passion for digital preservation and open source software development to lead the design, development, testing, deployment and maintenance of the digital repository system that powers the Digital Library @ Villanova University, https://digital.library.villanova.edu.
Reporting to the Director of Library Technology, the Library Technology Developer accepting this position will focus primarily on Digital Library issues, starting with the need to migrate content and administrative tools from a legacy Fedora 3 system into a more modern, maintainable, open source platform. S/he will join a team of programmers and librarians in working to continually improve the library’s web presence and its support for staff and public technology needs. S/he will also actively participate in global open source communities working to improve the library technology landscape through such projects as VuFind and the Universal Viewer.
• 2+ years professional experience in application development, required. 5+ years of application development in a library or academic environment, strongly preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems or a related field required.
• Advanced degree in library science, information science, or a similar computing intensive field strongly preferred.
• Working knowledge of version control and collaboration tools such as Git or Subversion.
• Working knowledge of Linux administration.
• Familiarity with the open source indexing tool Apache Solr strongly preferred.
• Familiarity with the open source digital archiving tool Fedora Commons strongly preferred.
• Strong grasp of current and emerging library descriptive & metadata standards, including MARC, Dublin Core, OAI-PMH, RDF, and RDA strongly preferred.
• Excellent writing skills for the preparation of clear, user-oriented documentation
• Personal leadership through example coupled with ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a results-driven, team-oriented environment.
Falvey Memorial Library is situated in the heart of campus and is central to academic life at Villanova University. Falvey, with a dedicated staff of approximately 50 FTE (including 5 FTE in the Technology department), is a friendly and exciting place to be that values work-life balance. The Library developed VuFind, an open-source ILS discovery layer, which is used by organizations world-wide, and was the university library recipient of the ACRL 2013 Excellence in Academic Libraries Award.
Villanova University is located on a beautiful 260-acre suburban campus twelve miles west of Philadelphia and was founded in 1842 by the Order of Saint Augustine. To this day, Villanova’s Augustinian Catholic intellectual tradition is the cornerstone of an academic community in which students learn to think critically, act compassionately, and succeed while serving others.
Nominations and Applications:
To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and list of three references with contact information via the Jobs at Villanova website: http://jobs.villanova.edu. This position is subject to the University’s background check policy.
Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University’s mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University’s mission and values.
How to apply
David K. Uspal
Technology Development Specialist
Falvey Memorial Library
Published: Saturday, March 18, 2017 15:40 UTC
Last updated: Saturday, March 18, 2017 15:40 UTC