DescriptionOhio Wesleyan University is a selective, private, undergraduate liberal arts, residential institution founded in 1842 and is located 20 miles north of Columbus. The Libraries at Ohio Wesleyan University invites applications for the position of Digital Initiatives Librarian & Curator. The successful candidate will hold a graduate degree from an American Library Association accredited program.
General knowledge of library procedures; demonstrated technological acumen; knowledge of and comfort with emerging technologies; knowledge of copyright, intellectual access and digital rights management issues; knowledge of cataloging, metadata, and archival storage standards; experience with digitization projects/initiatives; familiarity with digital asset management systems such as CONTENTdm and Digital Commons; and familiarity with web development tools.
Ability to implement digitization projects with an understanding of user needs and expectations; create goals and objectives as well as implement them; develop policies and programs; determine daily and long-range priorities.
Ability to interact effectively with co-workers, students, faculty, and staff; communicate effectively in speaking and writing; identify problems and suggest solutions; multi-task and work with frequent interruptions; plan and execute plans with others, and work independently without direct supervision.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages digital collections using CONTENTdm software and bepress Digital Commons.
- Creates digital images and associated descriptive metadata for new collections.
- Edits digital files using Photoshop and reformats when needed.
- Consults with faculty and liaison librarians on best practices in image capture and metadata creation.
- Serves on Five Colleges of Ohio Digital Collaborations Group, OWU Steering Committee for OH5 grant projects, and other related consortial committees as they arise.
- Electronic Reserves
Manages OWU Libraries electronic reserves system.
- Creates new course pages for faculty and updates existing pages as needed.
- Conducts fair use analysis on all requested readings and obtains use permissions through Copyright Clearance Center when necessary.
- Researches copyright holders and submits requests for use in cases where CCC cannot grant permissions.
- Scans and posts readings and creates persistent links to materials licensed through library databases.
OWU Historical Collection
- Answers research requests related to university history made by faculty, students, staff, alumni, and external researchers.
- Assists in-person researchers in use of archival materials.
- Processes collections not yet cataloged or accessioned, including incoming gifts and donations.
- Supports collection development by selecting faculty and alumni publications for purchase.
- Collects university publications, promotional materials, and ephemera.
- Serves on OWU Heritage Day Planning Committee and OWU Magazine Editorial Board.
- Serves as lead for library-related copyright issues and initiatives.
- Hires, supervises, evaluates and trains student assistants and volunteers in OWU Historical Collection.
- Participates as a member of the Special Collections Department in planning and development of policies, procedures, goals and objectives.
- Participates in library-wide planning; serves as a member of library committees.
- Represents OWU and works collaboratively with counterparts at our consortial partner institutions (Five Colleges of Ohio, CONSORT, and OhioLINK).
- Maintains current awareness of trends and policies regarding digital collection building, copyright, and archival management in academic libraries.
- Provides University service by attending Faculty meetings, serving on Faculty committees when elected, and serving on University committees as appointed.
- Maintains confidentiality of patron records and uses judgment and discretion with confidential matters relating to policy, students, faculty, and staff.
- Assumes other duties as assigned.
Cover Letter with salary requirements,
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
The names, titles, & contact information for three professional references.
Please email application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and encourages all interested applicants, including women and minorities, to apply (EEOE).
How to apply
Published: Friday, September 2, 2016 15:09 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC