- To transform the user experience, as called for in the Library’s Strategic Plan, by developing, designing, and managing the Library’s digital products and tools that create a simple, intelligent, and integrated ecosystem of information.
- Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adheres to Library attendance and work schedule policies.
- Complies with all Library work rules, procedures, and policies.
- Maintains a safe work environment.
- Promotes customer-centered philosophy.
- Ensures compliance with Diversity and Inclusion initiatives and services.
- Identifies, develops, and implements web applications that support the Library’s ongoing community engagement and the formation of communities of learning.
- Oversees the development of the CPL’s digital services portfolio, including presentation of the Library catalog, digital gallery, The People’s University, and Human Libraries.
- Updates website content.
- Back up or modifies applications and related data to provide for disaster recovery.
- Determines sources of web page or server problems, and take action to correct such problems.
- Monitors systems for intrusions or denial of service attacks, and report security breaches to appropriate personnel.
- Implements web site security measures, such as firewalls or message encryption.
- Monitors the security of digital information.
- Tests backup or recovery plans regularly and resolve any problems.
- Implements updates, upgrades, and patches in a timely manner to limit loss of service.
- Identifies or addresses interoperability requirements.
- Informs users of problems, problem resolutions or application changes and updates.
- Recommends web site improvements, and develop budgets to support recommendations.
- Evaluates utility of software or hardware technologies.
- Listens to and considers ways to integrate feedback provided in an iterative fashion, and then recommend next steps. Adjust and adapt websites and webpages to respond to data provided through analytics, user feedback and other information regarding user experiences.
- Collaborates with outside consultants and/or Library staff to discuss, analyze, or resolve usability issues.
- Corrects testing-identified problems, or recommend actions for their resolution.
- Develops or documents style guidelines for web site content.
- Provides training or technical assistance in web site implementation to content creators and managers.
- Collaborates with staff throughout the Library to deliver engaging online experiences.
- Communicates with vendors to facilitate the operation of CPL’s digital services and resources.
- Develops web site performance metrics.
- Tracks, compiles, and analyzes web site usage data.
- Ensures that CPL’s digital services and resources are fully responsive and meet accessibility standards.
- May be required to troubleshoot technical problems outside of regular business hours.
- Ensures adherence to the Library’s records retention policy.
- Participates in professional development and continuing education.
- May attend meetings, participate on committees, present workshops and training.
- Monitor current trends in web development and administration through continuing education, reading, or participation in professional conferences, workshops, or groups.
- May perform select duties of other staff in their absence.
- Performs other duties as required
Required Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 4+ years designing interfaces for large-scale sites. Demonstrated ability to produce user-centered design systems as evidenced by a portfolio or samples of work.
- Recent experience working with Wordpress and/or Drupal CMS including installation, configuration, updating, and management.
- MLIS/MLS preferred
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Computer Literacy Required for the job:
- Expert level abilities employing a CMS such as Wordpress and/or Drupal
- Expert knowledge of interface design standards, information architecture, user experience and web accessibility as it relates to design. Understanding of UX practices and methodologies.
- Excellent project management, time management, and organizational skills (plan and implement projects according to specifications, report project statuses, identify delays or resource shortages).
- Experience using APIs
- Knowledge of JQuery
- Mastery of web development best practices, such as responsive design, progressive enhancement and graceful degradation.
- Experience with Google Analytics and search engine optimization
- Compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or verifying information or data.
- Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Providing guidance and expert advice to management or other groups on technical, systems-, or process-related topics.
- Ability to quickly learn new computer and software skills on a regular basis
- Ability to identify, analyze, and resolve computer and software problems on a regular basis
- Ability to organize work and set priorities
- Ability to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently and across administrative units
How to apply
Published: Thursday, September 1, 2016 16:36 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC