Senior Research Data Management Consultant (2 positions)
Created: August 12, 2016
Duke University Libraries Durham0 other recent jobs
DescriptionAs part of Duke University’s commitment to building a robust campus wide infrastructure for research data management, the Senior Research Data Management Consultant (RDMC) provides consulting and instruction in the policies, resources, and methods of data management. The RDMC will partner with researchers, students, and other data management groups to develop a program that is responsive to local needs while informed by current developments data management policy and technology.
Consulting and Instruction
- Offers training to researchers and librarians on policies, practices, and infrastructure for data management, citation, licensing, sharing, and preservation.
- Researches and documents Federal and private funding agency requirements for data management, openness, and retention.
- Provides regular consultation for researchers and research teams on data organization and management strategies with the goal of improving data management skills, awareness of data policies, and data sharing/compliance at Duke. These consultations will include a focus on privacy concerns for sensitive and restricted data.
- Coordinates with external data archives, granting agencies, repositories, and publishers to ensure that Duke researchers are aware of the processes, policies, and requirements for depositing data outside of Duke.
- Working with repository staff at Duke Libraries, coordinates the ingest of data into the university repository.
- As part of the larger data management community at Duke, participates in research data services planning and policy both at Duke especially with groups such as the Office of Research Support, Duke Digital Repository, signature institutes, and the Office of Information Technology.
- Coordinates with other data management groups at peer institutions.
- Actively participates in relevant conferences and meetings. Shares research, networks, and actively engages in national data visualization conversations. Takes responsibility for developing a personal development plan in alignment with the ITS strategic plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
It is the expectation that all Duke University Libraries staff members will demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their specific position responsibilities. These behaviors are customer focus, collaboration, creative problem solving, continuous learning and a commitment to diversity.
Required: MIS or advanced degree in a field requiring data management expertise or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience with data management (data transformation, data verification, and coding skills) and use in a variety of contexts
- Demonstrated experience in managing research data collections
- Demonstrated ability to provide consultations and instruction to researchers on best practices in data management, grant compliance, and the effective use of technology in managing data collections
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Able to work independently and as a member of a team
- Research experience in the sciences, social sciences, and or humanities employing research data management strategies
- Experience with one or more programming/statistical languages (such as R, Python, Matlab, SAS, Stata)
- Experience managing quantitative and qualitative datasets
- Experience working with specialized data cleaning software, such as Open Refine
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Must be able to work in an environment in which exposure to materials containing dust and mold is possible
- Normal office environment
- Occasional weekend shifts required.
- Occasional travel required
Salary and Benefits
Salary dependent on qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes 15 days vacation, 13 holidays, 12 days sick leave; health, dental, disability and life insurance and support for professional development and training.
Since its founding in 1924, Duke University has grown into one of the most prestigious private universities in the world and its medical center ranks annually among the top in the nation. The Duke University Libraries are the shared center of the university's intellectual life, connecting people and ideas. The Libraries consist of the Perkins Library, Bostock Library, Rubenstein Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Lilly Library, and Music Library, and the library at the Duke Marine Laboratory in Beaufort. Duke's library holdings of 6.2 million volumes are among the largest of private universities in the United States.
Duke's hometown is Durham, North Carolina, a city with vibrant research, medical and arts communities, and numerous shops, restaurants and theaters. Durham is located in the Research Triangle, a growing metropolitan area of more than one million people that provides a wide range of cultural, recreational and educational opportunities. The Triangle is conveniently located just a few hours from the mountains and the coast, offers a moderate climate, and has been ranked among the best places to live and to do business.
Duke offers a comprehensive benefit packages which includes both traditional benefits such as health insurance, leave time and retirement, as well as wide ranging work/life and cultural benefits. Details can be found at: http://www.hr.duke.edu/benefits/index.php.
An electronic resume, cover letter, and list of 3 references should be submitted at http://www.hr.duke.edu/jobs/main.html - refer to Requisition # 401147441. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Applications which are missing any of the components listed above will not be reviewed.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The Duke University Libraries have a strong commitment to Affirmative Action and is actively seeking to increase the racial and ethnic diversity of our staff.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC
How to apply
Published: Friday, August 12, 2016 17:08 UTC