Community Engagement Product Manager
Created: August 8, 2016
CERN Geneva0 other recent jobs
DescriptionJob Reference: RCS-SIS-OA-2016-138-LD
Community Engagement & Product Manager in the Scientific Information Service.
The Scientific Information Service within CERN Research and Computing Sector supports the worldwide High-Energy Physics community to find, access and re-use information to accelerate scientific discovery.
The INSPIRE digital library [http://inspirehep.net] is the Service's flagship. It is run in collaboration with partner laboratories in China, Germany and the United States, and serves the scientific community since almost 50 years. Previously known as SPIRES, it was the first web site outside Europe and the first database on the web. Today, INSPIRE is searched about twice per second and connects 100'000 users worldwide, virtually all scientists and students in High-Energy Physics, with over 1 million scientific articles (but also software, data, a conference announcement tool and a job database). A new, popular, feature are tens of thousands scientific profiles of authors in the field.
INSPIRE is about to launch a profoundly redesigned interface and planning a suite of services to crowdsource the addition of relevant scientific content, the curation of scientific profiles, and the possibility for authors and readers to improve information. In additions, ways to visualise information, and its relations, are being considered.
In partnership with scientists, software developers, and information specialists the Community Engagement and Product Manager will be responsible for the successful transition of INSPIRE to a new interface, and for the user uptake of crowdsourcing services.
- Product-manage the launch of an INSPIRE "labs" site, with a redesigned user interface, and the incremental roll-out of new features, including scientific profiles, crowd-sourcing capabilities, and a public API.
- Understand and prioritize users' needs, drivers and barriers; feeding into the design of the new INSPIRE crowdsourcing services; taking responsibility for usability considerations and user testing, including the analysis of users' behaviour.
- Engage with the INSPIRE user community through focus groups, one-to-one interactions, tutorials and social media, continuously collecting and analysing user feedback and providing guidance to the development team in an agile way.
Master's degree in the field of Sciences, Social Sciences, Psychology, Communication or equivalent.
Candidates with other university diplomas will also be considered.
Experience and competencies
The experiences required for this post are:
- Hands-on experience in usability studies, user testing and analysis of users' behaviour.
- Experience in transferring to development teams users' needs and feedback.
- Experience in launching web services for `niche' communities.
- Proven experience in engaging and communicating with (scientific) communities.
- Experience with agile development process.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- User relationship management.
- Usability requirements analysis.
- Application support.
- Systems ergonomics.
- Change management.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results.
- Building relationships.
- Communicating effectively.
- Working in teams.
- Learning and sharing knowledge.
The language competencies required are:
Excellent command of written and spoken English, with the ability to make verbal presentations, draft technical specification, write reports.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States [http://cern.ch/jobs/content/member-states] irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.09.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 3 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
**Effective 1 September 2016, CERN will introduce a new career structure, the details of which shall be published in the Staff Rules and Regulations on that date.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC