Created: July 28, 2016
American Jewish Historical Society New York, NY0 other recent jobs
DescriptionAMERICAN JEWISH HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Date: July 28, 2016
Department: Library & Archives
Title: Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS) Collection – Database Manager
Schedule: Full Time for up to 18 months from date of hire
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Supervisor’s Title: Senior Project Archivist
Salary: TBD depending on experience, with benefits
SUMMARY: To develop, manage and implement all phases of a database design project combining streams of data from various sources. This is a one year to 18 month position, part of a larger project to improve access to the archival documents of HIAS. It is funded by a grant from HIAS, at the American Jewish Historical Society in Manhattan. HIAS’s history for over 130 years has been to rescue and resettle immigrants and refugees and access to client files is an important part of their continuing work with these families.
PROJECT GOAL: To combine about 5 data points pulled from the records of thousands of HIAS clients over approximately 45 years into a database accessible on the AJHS and HIAS websites, making it possible to determine whether a record exists for a specific person or family and if so, to point to the location of their paper file.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (approx. 90%):
Manage the database project, which includes:
- Design the database incorporating various data points, and when needed, work with vendors
(main data sources include OCR’d index cards and data already extracted from an existing
- Oversee cleanup of data from the digitization of the OCR files from heavily used microfilm.
- Determine most economical workflow for the highest percentage of data.
N.B. Success of the project will depend heavily on the data cleanup, conversion, normalization
and/or re-keying as needed.
- Develop a simple web-based front-end, or coordinate with a vendor to do so
Perform other duties as required
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES (approx. 10%):
Work collaboratively with colleagues at the American Jewish Historical Society on the HIAS project, and collegial participation as a member of the staff as may occur.
Education and Training: Bachelor's Degree and three years of comparable experience as detailed below, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Work Experience: Three years’ experience in database design and project management experience
Skills and Abilities:
- Relational database design and structure – knowledge and experience required, e.g. knowledge of MySQL and PHP, or comparable tools
- Experience with project management and working independently with vendors
- Prior experience extracting data from digitized index/catalog cards, data
- cleanup/conversion projects with OCR and/or rekeying and normalization (highly desired)
- Strong problem-solving ability ;able to differentiate between perfect and good enough; ability to anticipate problems
- Knowledge and experience designing a front-end search to access the data via the web (desired)
- Experience working in archives and library environment (desired); MLS degree a plus
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Reliability and accuracy in maintaining records
- Excellent communication skills and good rapport with colleagues. Ability to organize and complete tasks in a reasonable amount of time
WORKING CONDITIONS: Office environment, standard work week.
Please send resume, salary requirements and cover letter by August 19, 2016 to:
firstname.lastname@example.org / Subject: HIAS database manager position
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC