Electronic Systems Librarian
ZAI has an immediate need for an Electronic Systems Librarian located in Maryland. This position is responsible for the technology and systems used in library operations, and for leadership of the Electronic Library Systems (ELS) Team (Network Administrator, Web Administrator, and Metadata Specialist). This team is responsible for the Library’s computer systems and technical services including systems administration, web development, the institutional repository, the integrated library system and other discovery systems, and metadata creation.
• Serves as the principal liaison with the Program Manager for planning and maintenance of the electronic library, digital preservation systems, and technical services.
• Participates with library administrators and managers in planning, directing and coordinating personnel to meet goals and objectives.
• Designs, plans, implements, and evaluates the present and future automation needs of the Library, making recommendations for implementation to the Administration.
• Evaluates software products and frameworks to determine their applicability to Library services and related projects.
• Integrates all of the technical resources required to maintain state-of-the-art systems and services within an environment of rapidly evolving technology.
• Maintains the SirsiDynix integrated library system including upgrading, customizing, import/export of data, performance monitoring, and systems backup.
• Coordinates the work of the Systems Team in the implementation of open source software solutions for the Library; oversees the design, development, testing, implementation, and documentation of new applications and information systems; coordinates activities to ensure reliable uptime of all Library systems.
• Responsible for the maintenance, upgrade, enhancement, administration, and performance monitoring of the entire electronic infrastructure within the library, including the integrated library system, the institutional repository, database integrity, hosted discovery systems, and intranet/internet services,
• Develops Standard Operating Procedures for the Electronic Library Systems Team; creates new and updates existing documentation, best practices, and procedures.
• Delivers various reports and summaries to management and other constituents including status reports and progress summaries.
QUALIIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
• U.S. Citizenship
• Master's degree in Library / Information Science.
• Minimum 5 years’ supervisory experience, with project management experience and demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
• Minimum 3 years’ experience as a systems and/or metadata librarian.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills to provide effective documentation, briefings, reports, and staff interactions.
• Experience managing projects to implement and maintain information discovery systems, link resolvers, electronic resource management software, integrated library systems, and electronic library collections in institutional repositories.
• Experience building electronic collections with an open-source repository system such as Fedora Commons.
• Familiarity with principles of information architecture, usability testing, best practices and guidelines for accessible Web design.
• Knowledge of Drupal or similar content management systems.
• Understanding of core web server technologies, web services, and web design (Apache, Tomcat, Lucene/Solr, HTTP, JSON, REST, SOAP, HTML, CSS, etc.)
• Knowledge of database programming and relational databases, such as MySQL.
• Background with XML, RDF, query tools, and one or more metadata schemas.
• Knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems. • Knowledge of office productivity software (e.g. Microsoft Office suite).
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC
How to apply
XML World Wide Web SOAP SirsiDynix Representational State Transfer RDF PHP Perl Microsoft Windows JSON HTML GNU/Linux Fedora Repository Architecture Drupal Cascading Style Sheets Apache Tomcat Apache HTTP Server
Published: Thursday, July 14, 2016 14:25 UTC