DescriptionHoward Tilton Memorial Library (HTML) at Tulane University invites applications for the position of Digital Technology Librarian. The library seeks to build its professional staff by recruiting talented, energetic librarians interested in shaping the future of Tulane University and New Orleans. The Digital Technology Librarian will combine a strong service orientation with application development to ensure that HTML maintains and builds upon the high level of services for which it is renowned.
The Digital Technologies Librarian takes an innovative, service-centric approach to the oversight of several key information management and discovery systems (including Tulane’s implementations of Primo, Islandora, and ArchivesSpace). S/he will be responsible for ensuring the optimal performance of these systems, which will include: enabling data integration across distributed and heterogeneous local and external data sources; providing statistical, usage, and collection reports in support of decision making for library collections and services; and promptly reporting issues/problems to vendor(s) with follow-through until resolution. Additionally, the Digital Technologies Librarian has secondary (back-up) responsibility for the integrated library system (currently Voyager), link resolver (currently SFX), proxy authentication, and interlibrary loan (ILLiad) systems. As a technology liaison to library departments, s/he participates in formal task groups and committees, both standing and ad-hoc, to analyze and improve systems and services. S/he may assist with deploying hardware and software, including ordering, troubleshooting, inventory, and licensing management. S/he will have programming skills consummate with the Library’s digital technology goals and ambitions and will serve as part of a technology team that includes web development, digital collections, and digital publishing initiatives.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES TYPICALLY NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
- Experience managing integrated library systems and resource discovery tools, link resolvers, and proxy authentication systems
- Experience managing Windows and Unix based servers
- Demonstrated ability to work with database management systems and scripts (e.g., MS SQL,MySQL, Oracle, or MS Access) and writing queries in SQL
- Programming in XSLT, PHP, Ruby, or Python
- Demonstrated analytical, technical, and troubleshooting skills for complex applications
- Significant experience in project management
- Strong service orientation
- Proficiency in written and interpersonal communication
- Ability to succeed both independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to function fully and competently at technology competency Levels I, II and III outlined in HTML Core Technology Competencies for Employees. (See http://www.library.tulane.edu/sites/library.tulane.edu/files/documents/HTML_StaffTechnology_Competencies.pdf)
Tulane University is an AAU/Carnegie Research Institution and ranked by U.S. News and World Report among the top fifty national universities in the United States. The university is located in beautiful uptown New Orleans where it borders the St. Charles Avenue streetcar line and Audubon Park. Howard Tilton Memorial Library is the university’s main library with an ARL research collection of more than four million volumes, 600+ electronic database subscriptions and a materials expenditure of $8.8 million. The library is a key component of academic life at the University and plays an important role in enhancing cultural life in New Orleans.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Librarians are academic appointees;
librarians do not have tenure or faculty rank, but in other respects receive the benefits of faculty members; generous benefits including a choice of health plans, tuition waiver for self, and undergraduate tuition waiver for dependents.
At least two years’ relevant experience in an academic library
ALA-accredited MLS or graduate degree in information technology, computer science, or other technology field
- Familiarity with bibliographic record structure and classification systems
- Proficiency with standard computer hardware and desktop applications, including deployment
- Experience with Primo, Voyager, Islandora, ArchivesSpace and ILLiad
- Experience integrating a wide variety of third-party applications into library information systems
- Knowledge of authentication using LDAP and Shibboleth
Apply at Tulane University's iRecruitment link.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, July 7, 2016 15:54 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC