DescriptionManages development of print and digital collections for Tutt Library.
• Lead the Collection Development Work Group in planning collection initiatives, evaluating major purchases and developing policies.
• Collaborate with the Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian in managing electronic subscriptions.
• Evaluate consortia purchases and negotiates with vendors for optimal pricing
• Represent Colorado College as a member of the Alliance Shared Collection Development Committee.
• Serve as liaison to the Center for Research Libraries and a member of their Undergraduate Research Working Group.
• Serve as advisor on matters related to cataloging standards and best practices, including RDA. Works with cataloging staff and vendors on batch loads and maintenance of digital records.
• Provide leadership and direction for staff in acquisitions, processing, and cataloging; conduct annual and ongoing performance feedback; support professional development of staff; facilitates work flow and communication between staff in cataloging, acquisitions and serials.
• Provide oversight, with the Circulation and Periodicals departments, for stacks maintenance, including inventory of the circulating and reference collections; periodical and monograph withdrawal projects and shifting projects.
• Manage gifts from internal and external donors to include communicating and assessing suitability of donations in consultation with the Library Archivist.
• Work with the Preservation and Processing Coordinator in evaluating damaged materials for replacement or mending.
• Responsible for training librarians in use of selection tools, including GOBI and Choice.
• Select a wide variety of scholarly materials for purchase by the library; selects curriculum-related materials for the Collections Librarian’s liaison subject areas.
• Provide annual and ongoing analyses of areas of responsibility, including evaluation of workflows and staffing levels.
• Collect analyses and reports collections statistics to the Library Director,
• Initiate, implement and manage special projects that enhance the relevance of the collections, including weeding.
• Serve as library liaison to one or more assigned departments or programs ; collaborate with all liaison librarians in the design and delivery of library instruction programs; provide bibliographic instruction and develop supporting collections for assigned department(s); participate in instruction for first year (FYE) program.
• Serve as one of a team of librarians providing reference service to library users, including instructing patrons in the use of library materials; maintain current knowledge of both print and online sources in all academic fields of the college.
• Participate in shared professional staff responsibilities for library policy decisions and project planning through committee and work group assignments.
• Participate in the life of the college through committee and volunteer activities.
• Contribute to the profession and maintain professional knowledge through participation in appropriate state, regional, and national library organizations.
o Support and contribute to the goal of achieving greater diversity at Colorado College and work effectively with the many constituencies in a college environment.
o Promote a culture of safety and environmental protection by working in a safe manner; immediately reporting unsafe situations and accidents; following college procedures; and participating in appropriate safety training.
o Act in a socially responsible manner and model environmental sustainability by exercising financial prudence, using college resources wisely, and supporting ecological initiatives and innovation.
o Perform other duties as assigned.
Master of Library Science from an ALA accredited institution ; plus a minimum of five years of post MLS professional experience; broad knowledge of collection processes and issues in academic libraries; supervisory experience; cataloging experience and experience as an advisor on cataloging best practices and standards reference experience; excellent communication skills and ability and desire to work in a collaborative environment.
Understanding and experience in III Millennium; budget management; experience in an undergraduate liberal arts institution.
Posting Date: 07/05/2016
Application Deadline (at 11:59 PM Mountain Time): 07/19/2016
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position is being reposted. If you previously applied, you do not need to apply again.
You must meet the minimum qualifications to be considered for this position.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, July 7, 2016 17:22 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC