DescriptionLocated in Wilsonville, Oregon the World of Speed is a new kind of museum experience that focuses on racing and performance vehicles of all kinds. The museum encompasses many aspects of motorsports, including drag racing, road racing, land speed racing, motorcycle racing, open wheel, NASCAR, and hydroplanes.
At World of Speed, it is our mission to provide education and entertainment for the celebration and preservation of motorsports.
World of Speed Archive’s focus is on “bringing preservation and access together.” In this vein, the Archives Intern will utilize and learn multiple skills in making these both possible while learning the unique experience of a museum collection and archive. The intern will take part in multiple aspects of collection accession from processing to cataloging, exhibition, storage, and care. The position can be held as a credited internship if required as part of an enrolled academic program in archive, library, or museum studies.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Primary Focus: Cataloging new acquisitions into online collection catalog as well as updating as needed
• Photograph collection items and prepare them for storage or exhibit
• Define, input and upload collection item metadata with connected digital object
• Develop organizational structure of collection with assistance from the Archivist/Collection Manager
• Assist in accessioning of donations and loans
• Assist in identifying and pulling items requested by researchers
• Assist in receiving collection donation and loans from the public
• Assist in Archive activities such as the monthly Open Archive event
• Assist in developing rotating Archive Room displays
• Assist archive volunteers in their pre-cataloging collection organizing projects
• Has introductory academic knowledge of archives, library, or museum science, including theory and scope
• Ease with Microsoft Office for PC, photo editing software, and collection catalog platforms
• Detail-oriented data entry into collection catalog (World of Speed uses ContentDM)
• Ability to utilize or learn electronic editing and uploading
• Adhere to environment and security measures while interacting with the collection
• Ability to interact with patrons during Archive Room open hours
• Works easily independently as well as under direction
INTERN & PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
Candidates enrolled in graduate programs in archives, museum, or library sciences will find this internship utilizes multiple aspects of each of these studies. Under the direction of the Archivist & Collection Manager, the intern will utilize and hands-on learn cataloging processes, patron-collection interaction, collection access and exhibition, and preservation/storage methods.
Historical racing knowledge not required but a willingness to learn and understand the collection is necessary.
• Ability to bend and lift up to 30# frequently
• Ability to climb step ladder occasionally
• Ability to push/pull up to 20# frequently
• Ability to sit and work at a computer screen for long periods of time
• Must be able to successfully pass criminal background check
This is a part-time position up to 15 hours per week, including Sundays for one year, August through July.
If your enrolled program requires a monthly full weekend of onsite classes, the class Sunday can be switched to work a complete Saturday and Sunday another weekend once per month.
Please include your availability for both weekdays and weekends.
World of Speed is an equal opportunity employer. We value, honor and promote diversity.
For more information about the internship, contact World of Speed's Archivist & Collection Manager, Katrina O'Brien, at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
This position is an internship, please include your enrolled program’s requirements of you and the interning institution (World of Speed) and supervisor (Collection Manager) along with a list of classes taken up to date.
$15 per hour
How to apply
Published: Thursday, July 7, 2016 16:20 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC