DescriptionHarvard University IT Library Technology Services is looking for a technically-savvy and charismatic Senior Digital Library Software Engineer with a passion for democratizing access to knowledge.
As part of the Harvard Library's Office for Scholarly Communications team of librarians, scholars, and software engineers, you will work on the cutting edge of the open access movement to make academic research produced at Harvard and elsewhere available to anyone, throughout the world, free of charge. As a member of Library Technology Services, you will collaborate with library and IT staff across the university to deliver best of breed library services for research, teaching, and learning.
This is a 2 year term position funded through June 30, 2018.
- Enhance, support, and administer a highly customized Dspace digital repository, with Vireo add-on for ETD processing
- Extend the environment with python tools for automated harvesting/ingest, simplified deposit, export, and deposit to the library digital repository
- Collaborate with the team to evaluate both existing and emerging repository software, such as hydra in a box, for potential future development.
- Take ownership of new open access projects.
- Work closely with librarians, scholars, and technologists across institutional boundaries.
Both librarians with programming experience and software engineers with a library background are welcome to apply. We are less concerned about specific technologies than about finding a team player who cares deeply about what we do. But to give you a taste of the technologies we are currently using or experimenting with, see the lists of "qualifications" below. It’s OK if you are missing a few buzzwords – as long as you can demonstrate the interest and ability to learn them (and others) as required.
- 5+ years web application development experience
- Experience with Java required
- Experience with team collaboration tools, version control systems, and application deployment
- Experience using and developing with APIs and microservices
- Experience with database technologies (such as MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL)
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Familiarity with library metadata standards and bibliographic information structure
- Knowledge of MVC web development frameworks (such as java/struts, ruby/rails or python/django)
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with technical and non-technical staff; strong team player
- Experience with library applications, technology, and standards, including relevant library open source efforts; Ruby and Python, preferred; digital repository software (such as DSpace or Fedora); - Linked Data, Web APIs, and related standards and principles; Unix or Linux server platforms, related software, and basic system administration utilities.
- Familiarity with authentication/credential systems such as Shibboleth, Active Directory, and/or LDAP.-
To apply, go to https://jobs.brassring.com/tgwebhost/jobdetails.aspx?jobId=1219063&PartnerId=25240&SiteId=5341&type=mail&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=1&JobSiteId=5341&JobSiteInfo=1219063_5341&gqid=0
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 03:48 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC