Web Software Developer
Created: April 21, 2016
University of Utah Salt Lake City0 other recent jobs
Reporting to the Head of Enterprise Systems and Software Development (ESSD), the software developer will be responsible for managing software development projects. As a member of the ESSD team, the successful candidate will be working with motivated, talented, and personable designers, developers and systems administrators who are constantly working to create and deliver systems that help further the mission of the Library and University of Utah. This position will work in a team setting to manage library’s online presence and implement proven user-centered design and development strategies. Successful candidate will have the freedom to design and execute strategies to help connect our users with the information they are seeking.
• Develop and maintain software applications (vendor/Open Source/custom built) as needed to support Library’s needs.
• Audit legacy workflows and recommend automation processes where feasible.
• Participate in design and development team meetings.
• Support process management workflows (ticketing system, wiki, etc)
• Assist Systems Administration team in monitoring system logs, optimizing system performance, and responding to after-hours emergencies
• Make recommendations directly related to improving the development and operational support of Marriott Library web properties.
Bachelor’s degree in related area or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education). 2 years of experience in web software development or related area.
Department Specific Qualifications:
• Demonstrated experience working with web technologies including PHP (or other programming language), MySQL, XML, CSS.
• Demonstrated experience working with Content Management Systems such as Wordpress, OmniUpdate, or similar.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Experience working in research library setting
• Experience working with library discovery systems, integrated library systems or repository systems.
• Experience working with Tomcat, Solr, Git.
• Familiarity with Development processes and Agile methodology
• Ability to write successful proposals for new products and services
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team-based environment
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Initiative for self-directed learning
Type Benefited Staff
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
Special Instructions Summary
When prompted to do so, please upload a list of three (3) professional references.
This is a local recruitment. Out of area candidates will be responsible for travel costs for final in-person interviews and for moving costs, if selected.
For full consideration, please apply by April 28, 2016
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC