DescriptionAcross Europe, museums, libraries, and archives are digitizing their collections. A non-profit foundation, Europeana brings them together online and works hard to make sure people can find and use them. For work. For learning. Or just for fun.
We work as part of a network of cultural organizations to provide creative and innovative forms of access to culture. Our work is guided by creative collaboration, supportive teamwork and the idea that sharing and re-using cultural content can transform the world. While we aim to push the boundaries of using technology to make culture available over the web, our platform must always remain robust and reliable.
The role - Software Development and Infrastructure Manager
We are looking for a passionate team manager with a special interest in supporting and coaching our software development and technical operations teams to adopt best practice processes, tools, and infrastructure.
You will manage our Software Development and Infrastructure Team. It has 10 members of whom 7 are focused on development and 3 on operations, infrastructure, and QA. Most of your team members have at least a few years of industry experience and in addition, Senior Developers with many years of experience.
The team is responsible for the technical design, development, maintenance and operations of the Europeana platform, services, and applications. It works very closely with the Product Ownership and Design team in ensuring services and applications meet business and customer needs. Your team’s software developers spend most of their time as part of the product Scrum teams.
Your team also often works with our R&D team who focus on data modelling and investigating and advising on new technologies, esp. Linked Data technologies, search engine development/information retrieval and open standards relevant to us (IIIF (http://iiif.io/), W3C Open Annotations (https://www.w3.org/annotation/), etc.).
Your main responsibilities
- Continually coach and support your teams, especially your Senior Developers and System Engineer, in improving our software development and technical operations, processes and tools
- Ensure that the infrastructure and operational procedures supporting our services are well managed and that as a result, services are highly available and performing well for our customers
- Participate in our Scrum of Scrums and support our development Scrum teams in surfacing dependencies and identifying and removing bottlenecks
- Scope, monitor and manage the team budget including hosting, consultancy subcontracts, licenses, and travel
- Recruit new team members, when required
- Minimum 4-5 years of experience managing technical operations and/or software development teams
- Experience in setting up and optimising infrastructure, hosting and development tools (sometimes referred to as “DevOps”)
- Experience of the full development lifecycle including requirements gathering, design, development, testing, release and support (preferably in Java and/or Ruby)
- Good knowledge of and experience with Lean and Agile processes like Scrum and Kanban
- Good written and spoken English with an ability to express complex technical ideas and concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
- University or college degree in computer science, software engineering or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience of Open Source software development is an advantage - Europeana is an exclusively open source software platform
- Ability to lead a team and improve its performance through coaching, motivation, and openness
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively and efficiently in a distributed, multinational environment by bridging cultural gaps
Depending on your experience and skills, your monthly gross salary will be between EURO 4,219 - 5,194 (scale 12), in line with the Collective Labor agreement for Research Institutes.
Furthermore, you will have 42 days holiday per year, a holiday allowance (8%) and an end year bonus (8.33%).
How to apply
Mail us (firstname.lastname@example.org) your cover letter and CV (in English) telling us why you’re interested in this position. Please include your GitHub profile or any other public evidence of your work.
Explore Europeana’s collections at www.europeana.eu
Find out more about how we do it and who’s involved at http://pro.europeana.eu/about-us/who-we-are
Immerse yourself in Europeana on Vimeo, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest and Flickr.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC