DescriptionDavidson College Library seeks a librarian who is both technologically adept and big-picture oriented to lead our systems and cataloging department. The Assistant Director for Library Technologies and Metadata will serve as a member of the library’s leadership team as well as manage and directly supervise librarians performing the systems, cataloging, and metadata functions. The Assistant Director for Library Technologies and Metadata also participates in the creation of, planning for, and implementation of strategic library initiatives. This includes direct participation in creating and managing technical solutions requiring systems administration, programming, and scripting skills. This person leads the development, implementation, and assessment of policies, procedures, and programs in these areas.
• Investigates, recommends, and implements new technologies to enhance and transform library management of information resources and enhance student learning; works with the Assistant Director for Research, Teaching, and Collections to identify and evaluate such technologies.
• Encourages and enables use of flexible and customizable library systems solutions through direct application of system administration, programming, and scripting skills.
• Participates in the development of library-wide goals through service on the Management Council. Provides leadership and direction for translating these goals into operational plans for his/her area of responsibility.
• Encourages and enables systems and cataloging & metadata staff to perform at high levels of accomplishment.
• Master’s degree in Library/Information Science from a program accredited by the American Library Association
• At least five years of systems experience in an academic library
• Project management experience and effective leadership and management abilities; skills in facilitation, consensus building, and creative problem solving as well as preference for team-based approaches to achieving success.
• Demonstrated knowledge of system administration and configuration, scripting and one or more object oriented programming languages.
• Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging trends in academic and digital library services and resources and ability to translate into vision and strategy
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated knowledge of cataloging standards and practices
• Demonstrated commitment to working with diverse groups
• Commitment to undergraduate liberal arts education
This is a full-time, 12-month position. The anticipated start date is no later than summer 2016. Apply by May 2, 2016 for fullest consideration.
Candidates are asked to submit a resume and a cover letter addressing their experience and skills and how they relate to the mission of Davidson College and the Library. Applicants must also attach a statement of no more than one page describing a programming or scripting project they have done. More information about how to submit an application can be found at https://jobs.davidson.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1460148675517
Consistently ranked among the nation’s top liberal arts colleges, Davidson College is a highly selective, independent liberal arts college located in Davidson, North Carolina, close to the city of Charlotte.
How to apply
Published: Monday, April 18, 2016 18:49 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC