Operating Systems Programmer, Enterprise Systems
Created: April 7, 2016
Yale University New Haven1 other recent jobs
DescriptionYale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
General Purpose: Reporting to the Enterprise Systems and Services Technical Lead in Library IT, the Operating Systems Programmer will serve as systems and database administrator, with responsibility for local and hosted infrastructure, as well as for other critical services and storage in a 24/7/365 on-call production environment. The incumbent will design, install, configure, integrate, document, and manage core systems, storage, and applications for the Yale University Library. The Operating Systems Programmer will collaborate closely with other units within Library IT, stakeholders across the library, Yale ITS, as well as with external partners.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor's Degree in a related field and a minimum of three years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated ability with Linux distributions such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS, and Windows Servers. Demonstrated ability with Infrastructure as a Service cloud providers such as AWS, Rackspace, Azzure, etc. Ability to work with locally hosted virtualization environments such as VMware or Zones, etc.
• Familiarity with performance testing, monitoring, and tuning packages, tools, and techniques.
• Demonstrated skill with scripting languages for system administration and configuration management such as Python, Perl, ksh, Bash, KornShell, etc. . Knowledge of authentication mechanisms such as CAS, Active Directory, LDAP, and Shibboleth. Strong analytical and organizational skills. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Working knowledge of a variety of web based technologies such as Apache HTTPD, Microsoft IIS, Phusion Passenger, Apache Solr, Application servlet containers such as Tomcat or Jetty, Web Application Frameworks such as Rails, as well as HTTP accelerators and caches.
• Demonstrated skill with high-availability, load-balancing and failover techniques. Familiarity with firewalls such as IP. Demonstrated skill with SSH, SSL, and file sharing protocols such as NFS, iSCSI, Samba, Demonstrated skill with application performance and system monitoring using systems such as Nagios.
• Preferred: Familiarity with library systems (e.g., collections management, fulfillment, access and discovery, repository and digital preservation). Familiarity with version control such as Git, Subversion. Database administration and programming skills, particularly MS SQL Server (SSIS, SSRS), MySQL, and/or Oracle. Skills crafting SQL, stored procedures, automate regular ETL routines, and user-defined functions
The University and the Library
The Yale University Library, as one of the world's leading research libraries, collects, organizes, preserves, and provides access to and services for a rich and unique record of human thought and creativity. It fosters intellectual growth and supports the teaching and research missions of Yale University and scholarly communities worldwide. A distinctive strength is its rich spectrum of resources, including around 12.8 million volumes and information in all media, ranging from ancient papyri to early printed books to electronic databases. The Library is engaging in numerous projects to expand access to its physical and digital collections. Housed in eighteen buildings including the Sterling Memorial Library, the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, the Center for Science and Social Science Information, and the Bass Library, it employs a dynamic and diverse staff of approximately five hundred who offer innovative and flexible services to library readers. For additional information on the Yale University Library, please visit the Library's web site at www.library.yale.edu.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at www.yale.edu/jobs - the STARS req ID for this position is 36159BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC