Full time Remote / Telecommute
Digital Library Software Developer
University of California, Los Angeles — Los Angeles
0 other recent jobs
Created: March 28, 2016
DescriptionThis posting closes quickly in about a week (April 5th) so act now! Operators are standing by :-)
Under the direction of the Digital Library Architect, the Digital Library Software Developer (DLSD) provides systems analysis and programming to develop custom software programs with source data from a locally-developed legacy Digital Assets Management System (DAMS) and Fedora Commons open source DAMS. The DLSD is responsible for web application development and back end repository and database development.
Working hours may include emergency support on weekends, evenings and holidays.
Digital Initiatives and Information Technology (DIIT) supports library staff and users by providing access to library technologies via the campus network infrastructure backbone. Supported technology resources include the integrated library system and online catalog; network connectivity including servers, storage, operating system and application server delivery; and programming and application development in support of digital and web based initiatives. Through collaborative efforts with all areas of UCLA's libraries, DIIT assists in the development and delivery of technologies for all types of electronic resources. DIIT is comprised of three teams: Operations and Services (including Data Center and Network Team, Helpdesk Team and Learning & Research Technology Services), Development, and Digital Library Program. DIIT's 40 staff members also work as collaborative partners with units in other areas of the library, and provide technology support for the major business systems used by the libraries.
1. Bachelor's degree in computer programming, information science and 3 years' experience or equivalent education and experience.
2. Demonstrated ability to communicate orally with users, peers and management about project management and technology.
3. Demonstrated ability to write clear technical documentation.
4. Demonstrated ability to analyze, design, develop and test computer programs and scripts in a language such as java, php, python.
5. Working knowledge of XML syntax, namespaces, and schemas.
6. Working knowledge or Solr, ElasticSearch or other search framework.
7. Experience with Fedora, DSpace or other repository software.
8. Working knowledge of SQL and relational database technology.
9. Experience working independently and efficiently with minimal supervision.
10. Detail oriented with strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects.
11. Working knowledge of linux/unix shell command line.
12. Working knowledge of distributed code repositories such as git.
13. Ability to get to work reliably and on time and to be present in the workplace during normal working hours.
14. Ability to follow directions from supervisors and to provide clear directions to staff and student employees.
15. Ability to initiate and maintain cooperative working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, and managers. Ability to work harmoniously and as a team player, thrive in a team-based environment, and skill in fostering teamwork among others.
16. Working knowledge of Drupal content types, blocks, panels, and other components of web site building in a Drupal environment.
17. Demonstrated ability to design and develop RESTful web services.
We're looking to shore up our data delivery services at the UCLA Digital Library. This software developer position would be an integral part of laying the groudwork to create a unified API from a variety of different data sources (Solr, Fedora repository, custom DBs) to be used both internally by developers and published externally for public use.
How to apply
Published: Monday, March 28, 2016 10:37 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC