Core Services Librarian
Created: March 21, 2016
Washington State University Pullman0 other recent jobs
Full Notice of vacancy available here: https://libraries.wsu.edu/core_services
Applications must be received by March 31, 2016
This librarian will provide leadership in the planning, management, and support of the WSU Libraries’ Discovery and Unified Resource Management [ILS] services. The WSU Libraries currently use the ExLibris products Primo and Alma to deliver these core services to the Washington State University community. This tenure-track position is based in the Systems Department of the WSU Libraries on the Pullman campus.
The WSU Libraries are a part of the Orbis Cascade Alliance(orbiscascade.org) and are deeply invested, along with our partner libraries in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, in the activities of the shared Unified Resource Management and shared Discovery environment. As an active partner in the Orbis Cascade Alliance, the WSU Libraries both inform and reflect the guiding tenets of the alliance, which are: work smart, design for engagement, and innovate to transform.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the direction of the head of Systems and Technical Operations and in concert with the Alma Administrators Group and other personnel as appropriate, set goals, policies, and priorities for the WSU Libraries core services.
- Serve as a local expert resource for Alma, Primo, and other ExLibris products.
- Provide technical support to WSU Libraries constituents for the Primo/Alma environment.
- Serve as primary contact for general Primo and Alma configurations and lead post-upgrade testing across the environment.
- Create and lead cross-training programs for Libraries’ staff and faculty in Alma and Primo processes and tools.
- Facilitate communication about Alma/Primo issues and developments system wide to the WSU community.
- Facilitate and chair the Alma Administrators Group.
- Monitor and communicate Alliance policies, decisions, and recommendations to local stakeholders.
- Serve as an official WSU Libraries’ representative to institutional, regional, and national organizations at the request of library administrators.
- Create and maintain batch processes or other types of interfaces for the continued updating of library operations core services (currently Alma and Primo) and other third-party systems (library vendors and local campus technologies).
- Work with systems colleagues to automate and extend library core services using APIs and other programmatic or service-based utilities.
Scholarship, Service, and Professional Development:
- Participate in appropriate scholarship, faculty governance, and service as a library faculty member.
- Engage in library-wide initiatives as appropriate.
- Maintain current awareness of web and digital content technologies and actively participate in appropriate meetings and organizations.
- Master’s degree from an American Library Association accredited Library and Information Studies program.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written, organizational, problem-solving, and planning skills.
- Project management experience.
- Coursework or experience with a programming or glue-scripting language used for the web or networked services (e.g., Perl, Ruby, PHP, Powershell).
- Working knowledge of modern web design, frameworks, and standards.
- Experience with an Integrated Library System or Library Discovery Service.
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently and to promote teamwork among colleagues.
- Significant experience with a programming or glue-scripting language used for the web or networked services (e.g., Perl, Ruby, PHP, Powershell).
- Knowledge of and experience with OpenURL systems.
- Experience working at a research library or large academic library.
- Experience with Alma and Primo.
- Familiarity with modern cataloging standards and metadata formats, standards, and schema (e.g., Dublin Core).
Online applications are required and will include a cover letter addressing the qualifications, a current resume, and complete contact information for three current references. Finalists for this position may be subject to a background check as a condition of employment. Questions may be sent to the search committee via Bonny Boyan, firstname.lastname@example.org, 509-335-1535.
To apply visit: https://www.wsujobs.com/
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC