Ruby Apps Systems Administrator II (Library)
Emory University — Atlanta
0 other recent jobs
Created: March 4, 2016
DescriptionJob Requisition ID: 52844BR
Operating Unit/Division LITS: Library and IT Services
Department: LITS: Dev/Ops
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
We are looking for a strong administrator with knowledge of Ruby on Rails. Need experience in supporting, designing, and maintaining environments running Ruby on Rails applications using Apache HTTP server and Passenger.
Identifies, designs, develops, implements, and revises server, software and applications to meet business needs. Supports application developers with system level troubleshooting. Communicates with product owners, extrapolating needs into solid action items.
Devises solutions to system problems. Support and maintain applications for special collections. Documents, shares and mentors others to increase skill levels and to ensure quality service. Follows ITIL standards in tracking incidents and change management.
- Experience working with LAMP stack and related technologies.
- Knowledge of programming languages like Ruby on Rails, PHP, Python, Java Scripting, and XML.
- Experience configuring, installing, maintaining and troubleshooting Apache HTTP server.
- Installation and configuration knowledge of Apache HTTP server modules such as mod_ssl, mod_proxy, Passenger, etc.
- Experience configuring, installing, maintaining and troubleshooting Apache Tomcat.
Performs middleware administration for Emory middleware platforms and solutions to support enterprise-wide business needs and strategic goals. Provides continual active improvements for middleware services including research, planning, and implementation of service upgrades and enhancements.
Provides daily support for customer needs and service issues to maintain middleware infrastructure functionality and to meet service level agreement expectations.
Supports new integrations and applications development built on Emory's middleware platforms.
Provides 24 x 7 on-call support to ensure application functionality and to minimize disruptions. Monitors the IT Service Management System to resolve customer issues and meet service expectations. Builds relationships with enterprise-wide customers to create clear and effective communications and to address customer needs.
Investigates middleware and integration issues to provide resolutions and to develop root cause analyses for supporting maintenance improvements and upgrade planning. Interacts with Service Desk teams to minimize ticket instances, decrease ticket turnaround times and to provide ongoing training.
Produces individual project plans to scope required levels of effort and to determine project duration and required resources. Interacts with project managers to provide project updates and to identify risks and issues. Participates with project teams to provide messaging systems applications expertise.
Manages middleware team tasks to meet project requirements. Follows Emory ITIL service management processes and procedures to support middleware operations. Performs system monitoring to ensure system operation health to meet service level agreements.
Responds to service performance alerts and service interruptions to restore functionality and support customers. Performs capacity planning and performance tuning to prevent issues and minimize service interruptions. Interacts with system and storage teams to perform back-up and recovery procedures for ensuring business continuity.
Monitors the Service Management queue to respond to customer requests for service. Assists with department projects to support enterprise middleware initiatives and to meet business needs. Advises users on options for middleware solutions to support customer requests and meet business needs.
Provides middleware systems policies and procedures written documentation to support and fulfill middleware team member requests. Performs related responsibilities as required.
A bachelor's degree in IT or related field and two years of IT experience, OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience.
DATE CREATED/MODIFIED/REVIEWED: 5/2/11 JB
- Experience with web standards like REST for seamless integration between complex systems
- Basic SQL and connection experience with RDBMS like Oracle, MySQL, and MS SQL.
- Knowledge about Metadata (e.g. MODS, Dublin Core, TEI, EAD, DDI) and Semantic web standards.
- Experience with Content management tools like Cascade, Drupal and Wordpress.
- Familiar with Shibboleth or other single sign-on solutions using SAML2.
- Strong Linux background
- Detailed knowledge of web, application, and database server configuration and administration
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiar with ITIL practices
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
How to apply
Published: Friday, March 4, 2016 16:22 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC