Senior Systems Administrator & Analyst
Created: February 20, 2016
University of Waterloo Waterloo0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe University of Waterloo Library seeks a creative, dynamic and public service oriented systems and applications administrator to fill a position as Senior Systems Administrator & Analyst. The position offers an opportunity for an experienced, energetic and collaborative technical professional to build on past and present achievements and to move the digital agenda forward for the University of Waterloo Library.
Digital Initiatives is responsible for the collaborative development of strategies, planning, implementation, and support of projects to advance the creation, integration and use of web based services, technical infrastructure, digital services, digital repository, digital preservation and service integration for the Library.
Technical support and administration of key enterprise library applications are also managed within the department, for the uWaterloo community as well as the other Tri-University Group (TUG) member libraries at University of Guelph and Wilfrid Laurier University. As the department serves broadly across the Library, the incumbent will work closely with all Library departments on projects at some point or another. Key partners include Library Technology & Facilities Services (LTFS), Information Systems and Technology (IST), the TRELLIS Operational Management Group (TOMG), the Primo Implementation Team, TUG Prototyping, as well as technology leadership at TUG member libraries, OCUL and elsewhere.
The University of Waterloo Library is a member of the Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL), the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), the Coalition for Networked Information (CNI), and the Ontario Council of University Libraries (OCUL). The Library is a member of the Tri-University Group (TUG), along with member libraries at the University of Guelph and Wilfrid Laurier University, serving a combined student population of over 76,000, combined holdings exceeding 5 million, and combined budgets exceeding $45 million. The Tri-University Group manages shared technology and a remote storage facility, and enables collaborative projects across the three library systems. The successful candidate will carry out the responsibilities associated with this position in the Dana Porter Library, located on the main campus.
The Senior Systems Administrator & Analyst:
- is responsible for the systems administration, application management, configuration and support of Waterloo’s digital repository, digital scholarship and related services and application management, configuration and support of several TriUniversity Group (TUG) enterprise library systems and discovery environments
- serves as the Library’s senior systems analyst, and for providing general systems support in a team environment.
- is responsible for the reliability and effectiveness of key Library computing systems upon which staff and user services are provided along with the Library Systems Administrator, Library Technology & Facilities Services (LTFS).
- serves as the technical manager and systems administrator for several TUG shared technology platforms and services used by ~300 library staff at the three member libraries, and currently 77,000 students, faculty and staff at the three institutions (University of Waterloo, University of Guelph, Wilfrid Laurier University).
- works with Waterloo Information Systems & Technology (IST), who support these platforms at the hardware, operating system, and database levels.
- designs, implements and advances the integration of digital repository platforms and services to support the local digital collections needs of the University of Waterloo Library.
- manages various relationships between the Library, TUG, IST and other University departments to ensure quality data, conformance to University information security and other University policies, as appropriate.
The Senior Systems Administrator & Analyst reports to the Head, Digital Initiatives.
We welcome interested candidates to connect directly with Alison Hitchens, Head, Digital Initiatives to learn more about this exciting position. Alison can be reached by phone at 519-888-4567 x35980 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A complete job description is available.
Education: Bachelor degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering or related discipline
Experience (in order of priority):
- Several years of experience with managing and developing on enterprise information systems, including open source and commercially-available solutions
- Several years’ experience with Linux system administration and programming in a complex and heterogeneous computing environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written
- A strong commitment to high quality service
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently without direct supervision
- Demonstrated ability to independently, as well as collaboratively, plan, coordinate, and implement effective information technology projects, including managing multiple and simultaneous projects
- Experience developing and integrating open source software components with Java, Apache Foundation platforms, XML, RESTful APIs
- Demonstrated experience with data management, database development and related computer applications
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on projects across a wide range of departments and for varying audiences
- Project management experience with complex requirements and tight timelines, involving many stakeholders
- Several years of experience with academic research libraries
- Knowledge of library-related data standards and formats, including MARC21, MARCXML, Z39.50, KBART, OpenURL, amongst others
- Familiarity with digital repositories (eg. Islandora, Drupal, Fedora Commons, DSpace, Dataverse, etc.)
- Familiarity with Open Access digital scholarship publishing platforms (eg. Open Journal Systems)
- Familiarity with integrated library systems (e.g. Voyager, Sirsi/Dynix, Innovative Interfaces etc.)
Hiring Range: $66,450 - $90,569
Deadline for applications: For assured consideration, applications should be received by Friday, March 11, 2016.
Interested applicants are asked to apply via e-mail to email@example.com and cc Alison Hitchens at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Job ID #3072 – Senior Systems Administrator & Analyst – Library in the subject line of the email, and attach your cover letter, resume, and any other information as one document named FirstName LastName – Job ID #3072.
The University of Waterloo respects, appreciates, and encourages diversity. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, ethnic origin, religion, age, colour, gender, sexual orientation, ability or disability. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Waterloo is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. If you have any interview or workplace accommodation requests, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 519-888-4567, ext. 35935.
* * *
In just half a century, the University of Waterloo, located at the heart of Canada's technology hub, has become one of Canada's leading comprehensive universities with 36,000 full- and part-time students in undergraduate and graduate programs. A globally focused institution, celebrated as Canada’s most innovative university for 24 consecutive years, Waterloo is home to the world's leading post-secondary co-operative education program and encourages enterprising partnerships in learning, research and discovery. In the next decade, the university is committed to building a better future for Canada and the world by championing innovation and collaboration to create solutions relevant to the needs of today and tomorrow. For more information about Waterloo, please visit uwaterloo.ca
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:40 UTC